Significance of Test Automation for Salesforce Application Testing
Salesforce is a cloud computing Software as a Service (SaaS) provider. Out of all its cloud platforms and applications, it is best known for its Customer Relationship Management service. This CRM is composed of Sales Cloud, Service Cloud, Marketing Cloud, Force.com, Chatter and Work.com. Salesforce plays a significant role in the business processes of many leading companies. It is highly extensible, configurable, and is most of the time integrated with many other applications.
With frequent updates in cloud apps, companies using them face constant risks. With Salesforce apps, an organization has very little control over the timing of software changes and where those changes occur. Salesforce Testing allows organizations to validate that the critical business processes are executed with the highest quality. The best thing about Salesforce is its ability to deliver faster. However, it is recommended to not rush with the testing process.
In order to understand the importance of salesforce application testing, it is important to first understand the problems of manual testing and how automation can address them.
- Manual Testing is time consuming
- Manual Testing is expensive
- Manual Testing is not interesting
- Manual Testing is prone to mistakes
It is very important that a significantly fast testing strategy should be adopted in order to successfully deliver lasting quality. This calls for a more skilled set of technical team. However, the other axioms of testing should also be kept in mind. Every quarter new enhancements, features and abilities to the platform is being deployed by Salesforce. Whenever new features are released, it is required to run regression tests. Here automation proves to be more beneficial over manual testing in order to assess the impact of the release.
Most of the companies use the QTP(Quick Test Professional) test automation tool for running regression scripts and functional tests in order to save time. The hybrid framework is the best for the test automation of SalesForce Applications. It can be the combination of modular, keyword or data driven frameworks. QTP does not require any additional plugins for automating Salesforce application testing
The main benefits of Salesforce Test Automation can be listed as follows:
- Leverages the expertise of key business users
- Optimizes the software release process
- Faster execution and reduced business risk with a greater test coverage
- Early detection of defects with higher test accuracy
- Standardization and formalizing of organizational processes
- Reuse and optimization of test cases and test processes
- End to end testing with advanced testing team and efficiency
- Decreased production defects , speed to market with increasing customer confidence
- Isolation of problem components in early phases of the development cycle
- Continuous execution of test automation processes
Being a widely accepted software application and platform, consistent quality is the most important factor in each of its release. Automated testing proves to be the most active way of testing, as it takes over the monotonous and repetitive test cases and covers all the levels of the test pyramid. The open source Selenium and QTP are widely used testing tools leveraged by Salesforce to automate their innumerable test cases.