A how-to do your customer discovery, lean startup
I will give you 11 options instead of 100 rules. That is probably more comprehensible.
- Who are you talking to, try to understand the role of the person that you are talking with. Is he the right person to talk to?
- What are the greatest pains of your target group? People like to talk, do not lead them during the conversation towards the problem. But listen to them and enjoy that time of not saying what the problem is or your solution and use that precious time to validate assumption. Do not, do not, do not solution pitch after your first conversation or second because of courtisy or that it feels good. The only thing that feels good is that brownie from the starbucks because thats real and tangible.
- The solution pitch or conversation, I always think this is a gut feeling based on your conversation after you have learned enough and if you are 60% or 70%percent sure. You could do 2 things create a prototype or if this person after the first conversation hits every question with a big exclamation mark of your solution. Then go for it.(show some balls) It will give you an idea about your direction. But still bear in mind that you need to talk to more people.
Offcourse you can do a lot of customer interviews, but at some point as you do customer developer you need to make the leap of faith to product development. But before you do it start making prototypes and bare in mind if you are not embarrassed about the first prototype you probably showed it to late. Lean startup is also about making the leap of faith smaller and more validated jump. It is better to make an educated guess about something when it is not your money then to burn it like its wood for a fireplace.
- Take notes or record everything, summarize notes and look for patterns if you are not analytical find someone else to do it for you. “Dont do a stare off with your research, you will loose”.
- Do it together with your team mates
- Love to talk and love to listen, so be conversational
- Ask how people hack and build there own solution for the current problem
- Listen well and dig deeper. Use “Push and Pull”strategies.
- Follow up, send an email afterwards and thank them
- End with an ask for instance ask for a warm introduction
- Be open for new problems, this is how new things occur
- Dont let data destroy your creativity or from others
- Trust on the process of learnings and creating insights
- Assumptions are the fuel for doing more experiment designs, be curious
These are some of my guidelines for doing this, this is still work in progress. If you have questions, just drop a message