unScribe.me — UX project 4
Unofficial project on seeing how to add a new product to a company’s existing value chain.
Company of choice: unRoll.me
Company Nature: Unsubscribe from email subscriptions with one click.
Technology used: Email parsing
Proposed addition to unRoll.me: unScribe.me
Nature of concept: Unsubscribe from auto renewing paid subscriptions.
Technology used: Email parsing & Financial Data Scraping.
2 Week Project Road Map
Project Proposal and pinup
Platform and competitor research
User Research (Survey and Interviews)
Data Analysis (Affinity Mapping)
Persona Creation & User Flows
Prototyping and Wireframes
Usability Testing and Iterations
Through interviews we starting uncovering the real problem associated with auto renewing subscriptions otherwise known as CPAs (Continual payment authorities).
“ My husband did not tell me he stopped using the movie streaming site and I ended up paying for that for almost an entire year.”
“ I am pretty sure i am paying for an online subscription, but i am too lazy to figure out how to cancel it. It’s only a few dollars every month.”
These are just some of the alarming responses we received when interviewing respondents with regards to CPAs. With all the data in hand, we conducted an affinity map to derives some key groups and trends.
People are losing money unnecessarily to auto-renewing subscriptions, for services they do not use or hardly use anymore because of their inability to keep track and stay notified of their subscription commitments and contracts.
Each of the platforms have their own set of functionalities that cater to the different needs of each of our created personas.
Leveraging on Existing APIs
Besides riding on the exiting email parsing technology that unroll.me is currently using, from market research we found that the most accurate way to find out what paid subscriptions a user has was to scrape their bank data. Companies like Plaid and Yodlee currently provide this very secure and tested service.
We complied a consolidated list of around 12–13 features that the users wanted and used a self created feature prioritization spreadsheet metric to derive which were the must have, should haves and could haves.
A design studio was carried out to have an initial idea of where to place elements and decide on the initial flow of features. A content inventory and site map was also created along side to house all the possible elements, their interaction and where to place the elements.
A low fidelity set of wireframes were created for the first usability test. In total we ended up going through 3 usability tests for both the app version and API version.
Usability Test 1 Main problems: Users were not understanding what some of the handle names meant. There were issues of where buttons were places and assumptions of how users would navigate to certain screens or carry out certain tasks.
Usability Test 2 Main problems: Most of the issues arrising from this test was an issue with fidelity. Users were able to complete tasks easily, but there was still some level of confusion over certain screens and what they were meant for.
Final High Fidelity MockUps and Final Prototype
Future Developments (Integration success tracking metrics)