5 INDUSTRIES RELYING ON BARITE
BARITE is a sulfate mineral composed of Barium Sulfate (BaSO4) and sometimes called as ‘heavy spar’. It serves as the principal Ore of Barium, which is used to make a wide variety of barium compounds.
Chemical formula: Barium Sulfate BaSO4
Color(s): Transparent, White, Gray, Yellow, Blue, Red, Brown
Luster: Vitreous, Greasy
Crystal system: Orthorhombic
Transparency: Transparent To Translucent
Specific Gravity: 4.4
Hardness (Mohs): 3–3.5
Location: Barite is widespread in existence.
Because of Barites chemical properties and high specific gravity, it is one of the most amazing minerals used for a range of industrial, medical and manufacturing applications. This mineral has many uses from cooling the bits in oil drilling operations, manufacturing of paints and because it is opaque to x-rays, also used for medical applications.
This article explains some of the applications of barites which make it so popular with different industries.
• Plastic Industry — It is used in the Plastic Industry as the filling of plastic to create colorful plastics. Barite is used for this purpose because it is very effective in improving the abrasive strength, stiffness and intensity, thereby making it stronger in strength and attractive in appearance.
• Paper-Making Industry — It is used in the papermaking industry because of its pure whiteness. White paperboards and coat paper are filled with high-refined barites powder in order to improve the whiteness of the product and also increase the percentage of coverage, thereby giving it a pure white look.
Barite is also applied as a pigment in paints and as weighted filler for paper, rubber and cloth. Playing cards has barite inserted between the paper fibers giving the paper a very high density that lets the cards to be “dealt” easily to players around a card table.
• Painting Industry — Barite is a wonderful replacement to expensive materials used in dope and painting. It is an amazing replacement to basofor, crypton, titanium dioxide, and monox which are used for filling. It is very useful in regulating the thickness of the paint. It is also very effective in increasing the stability of the paint and adding more brightness to the color. It has a clean whiteness that makes it very efficient as an extender for primers. It is highly useful in giving smoothness to the undercoats and chemical resistance to the walls, thereby ensuring beautiful smooth walls. As it is insoluble in water, It has high resistance to acids, alkalis and high bulk density and high refractive index, which makes it all the more useful in the paint industry.
• Rubber Industry — Costs in the rubber industry can be reduced to a certain level by using the barites mineral about less than 500 mesh for filling the rubber product making the product water proof. As to increase the life of the rubber product and also increasing the durability, barite is being utilised. It also increases the strength of the product and makes it resistant to acid and alkali.
• Cosmetics Industry — Barite, because of its gentle and mild effect on the skin, it is very popular in the cosmetics industry. It is widely used in the cosmetics and a wonderful substitute to titanium dioxide.
• Pharmaceutical Industry — In the pharmaceutical industry, barite is used as barium meal material for stomach and intestines reflections. An added important usage of barites in pharmaceutical industry includes in order extending the time limit of the plaster, it is used for filling of plaster and dope. Barites are also very effective in blocking x-rays and gamma-rays emission in hospitals, power plants, and laboratories.
Barite is also utilized in diagnostic medical tests. Before taking an X-ray, if a patient is given a small cup of liquid that contains barium powder with the consistency of milkshake, the liquid will cover the patient’s esophagus. Immediately after the “barium swallow” once the patient takes an X-ray of the throat, they will get an image the soft tissue of the esophagus since the barium is opaque to x-rays and blocks their passage.
Moreover, another compound known as “barium enema” is similarly used to image the shape of the colon.
Other Uses of Barite include used as a weighting agent in drilling muds and in trucks as weighting filler in rubber to create “anti-sail” mud flaps.
WASIT GROUP is engaged in supplying BARITE in local and international markets. They have an expert team that will handle our material production including its delivery. Wasit are reliable Manufacturer and Supplier of the BARITE POWDER. Their BARITE POWDER is noted for its high specific gravity and is used as a filler and weighting agent. The BARITE POWDER that we offer is usually sold as an aggregate or fine