Our Crisis Communications Cheat Sheet
Over the last several weeks, we’ve been doing what Push Digital does best… creating content. And awesome content that’s all about our specialty: Crisis Communications.
With the current state of American politics and the unforgiving wrath of the public opinion, we thought what better than to launch a blog series about the Push Digital 3 Step System:
- Tell it all.
- Tell it fast.
- Tell the truth.
However, it gets way more complicated than that. Trust us, with our 50+ years of political campaign experience… dealing with a crisis can get pretty messy. So, in case you’re ever in a crunch, we’ve created a comprehensive cheat sheet just for you.
Here is everything you need to know about crisis communications all in one place:
1. Crisis Communications Dos And Don’ts: Own It And Apologize
The first step in responding to a crisis can be the hardest, but you have to do it. Here’s why you need to own your mistakes and then apologize.
2. Crisis Communications Dos And Don’ts: Do The Right Thing
Even if you’re one single person or a corporation with millions of employees, morals can get messy and, for that, we have just one piece of advice.
3. Crisis Communications Dos And Don’ts: Move On
For this crisis communications “do,” we’re taking a tip out of our political campaign rulebook. Use a crisis to pivot and create positive attention.
4. Crisis Communications Dos And Don’ts: Rebuild The Brand
when a company’s world gets rocked with a crisis, that brand gets a black eye and the public sees it. Trust us, it’s never pretty.
5. Crisis Communications Dos And Don’ts: Know The Battlefield
In case you didn’t catch it in our name, Push Digital is a digital firm. Good thing. Because for this Crisis Communications we’re talking digital.
6. Crisis Communications Dos And Don’ts: Know And Label the Opponent
Time, money, communication… this Crisis Communications “Do” gives us another bullet to our list of campaigns and corporation differences: The Opponent.
7. Crisis Communications Dos And Don’ts: Get All The Facts
When you’re hit with a crisis, make sure you get all of the facts. You can’t control the narrative if you don’t even know the story.
8. Crisis Communications Dos And Don’ts: Talk To Attorneys (Sparingly)…
Attorneys are great for keeping you out of jail, but they can also gum up the system. Here’s why you should talk to attorneys sparingly during a crisis.
9. Crisis Communications Dos And Don’ts: Don’t Feed The Trolls. But Do Feed The Beast.
When a crisis hits the internet, you can bet the masses of meme-makers are eagerly standing by to make things worse. Here’s how you can control the trolls.
10. Crisis Communications Dos And Don’ts: Measure Always. Always. Measure.
During a medical emergency, two fingers are ALWAYS on the pulse. And a crisis should be no different. Measure. Re-measure. Adjust. And measure again.
11. Crisis Communications Dos And Don’ts: Have Your Team In Place Before A Crisis Happens
We’re tackling a big topic for the finale of our Crisis Communications Dos And Don’ts: Have your crisis team in place before a crisis happens.