Weight Loss Surgery in Long Island, NY
There is a growing concern in New York about obesity. It has become an epidemic. More than half of its adult residents are overweight and 20 percent are obese. Overweight people have high risk for health issues. They no longer live normal lives. No amount of exercise and diet could make them lose weight. Weight loss surgery is the best option for this problem. Weight loss surgery in Long Island, NY is becoming popular. After surgery, several people have claimed back their lives and health.
What You Should Know About Weight Loss Surgery
Weight loss surgery in Long Island, NY is gaining popularity. People have discovered that weight Loss surgery is a safe and most effective method to lose weight, when other non-surgical methods have failed. You may be wondering what weight loss surgery or bariatric surgery, as it is popularly known, is all about.
There are some things you should know about weight surgery.
- It is a surgical procedure to shrink the stomach. Weight loss surgery is a surgical procedure where the bariatric surgeon reduces the size of your stomach. A smaller stomach lessens your food intake. Lesser calories are absorbed by your smaller intestines, decreasing the production of sugar and fats in your body. It develops more insulin sensitivity thus you experience remission of your diabetes.
- Not all individuals are good candidates for weight loss Surgery. Only persons with extra weigh more than 100 pounds are qualified for weight loss surgery. They are considered to have morbid obesity. However, bariatric surgeons can better determine if you are qualified for this kind of surgery.
- Weight loss Surgery has different methods of surgical procedures. Sometimes your bariatric surgeon may use two different methods in one operation. The most common methods are the gastric bypass and the sleeve gastrectomy. Gastric bypass involves splitting your stomach and small intestines into two sections. The two smaller sections are joined together so that your stomach can hold only a small amount of food than your usual intake. It also lowers absorption of calories by your small intestines. The sleeve gastrectomy involves removing 80 percent of your stomach. With a smaller stomach you will feel full immediately.
- The right surgical procedure is dependent on your weight. If you are less than 100 pounds overweight, then your better option is the sleeve gastrectomy. For morbid obesity, it is recommended that they undergo gastric bypass.
- You are up and about 48 hours after weight Loss Surgery. You are anesthetized so you go into a deep sleep for the duration of the surgery. Most weight loss surgeons use minimal invasive procedures. They only make keyhole incisions on your stomach. Some surgeons perform weight lose surgery assisted by robotic. Recovery is faster.
- All weight loss procedures have low risk. In the world of medical surgery, bariatric surgery is among the safest procedures. You not only lose weight, but you also resolve your health issues like diabetes and arthritis.
- Weight loss surgery is not covered by insurance. Insurances consider these surgical procedures as non-life threatening.
- The Surgery is not a treatment, but a tool to lose weight. Weight loss surgery is just the beginning. After surgery, you are required to commit to a lifelong lifestyle change, diet and exercise. The first few weeks after surgery you are given a diet of mostly liquid or pureed. Your diet is packed with protein to support your muscle mass when you drop so much weight.
- Weight loss surgery does not do all the work for you. You have to follow strictly the lifelong program of nutritional supplements so you can give your body the necessary minerals and vitamins it will need. You have to commit to a paradigm shift of your lifestyle.
Weight Loss Surgery by Dr. Arif Ahmad
Dr. Arif Ahmad is well known for Weight Loss Surgery in Long Island NY and areas nearby. His team is composed of skilled and experienced surgeons and medical staff. Dr. Ahmad specializes in minimal invasive surgeries and performs them assisted by robotic technology. He uses laparoscopy which is a lighted instrument inserted into your stomach through a keyhole incision. The instrument sends images to the monitor inside the operating room. The surgical tools are also inserted through other keyhole incisions. Dr. Ahmad can perform the procedure like he would in an open incision. He has performed several successful procedures on the following bariatric surgeries:
- Minimally Invasive Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy — In this procedure Dr. Ahmad shrinks your stomach, leaving only about 15 percent of its original size. The new and smaller stomach can hold only a small amount of food so you feel full quicker. It also reduces your Ghrelin, the hunger hormone in our stomach because most of the cells producing said hormone were removed during the process. It also lessens absorption of calories as food is moved into the lower part of your intestines directly.
- Minimally Invasive Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass — Dr. Ahmad separates a small portion of your stomach and creates a pouch which is joined to the lower part of your small intestines. The larger portion of your stomach and some of the intestines are bypassed. The pouch limits the amount of food you can eat and lessens absorption of fat from what you eat. This procedure also limits calorie absorption because most of the intestines have been bypassed.
- Minimally Invasive Gastric Band Surgery — In the band surgery, Dr. Ahmad attaches an adjustable band around your stomach. The band is made of silicone tube shaped like a ring. The band separates a small part of your upper stomach but leaving a small opening through which food could pass slowly at a time into the lower of the stomach. You will also feel full quicker and for a longer period of time. Food is digested and absorbed in the usual way, but your food intake is lessened.
Questions to Consider Before Undergoing Weight Loss Surgery
Submitting to a surgery is a serious decision. You need to ask yourself some questions for choosing to lose weight through surgery. Your answers will determine your decision and commitment. Then you can go and find the best weight loss surgeon.
- Is your weight 100 pounds more than the ideal body weight for your age and height?
- Do you weigh more than 80 pounds than your ideal weight and you are suffering from high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes or other health problems?
- Have you tried other weight loss methods that are non-surgical, such as exercise or diet, but you could not get your ideal body weight?
- Are you experiencing physical problems prevents you from performing your household chores or work in the office?
- Are you committed to make the first step to change your lifestyle proactively so that you can achieve your goal of achieving an ideal body weight, improve the quality of your life and manage your health problems?
- Have you carefully researched about the surgical procedures and their advantages, as well as disadvantages?
- Have you carefully checked the credentials of your chosen surgeon and have full knowledge of their program?
- Can your chosen weight loss surgery program provide all the support and aftercare that you need to be able to achieve your goals?
- Are you 100 percent sure that your chosen weight loss program can sufficiently give you the personal attention that you deserve.
- Have you checked if your insurance covers your weight loss surgery?
- Have you considered the cost of the weight loss surgery?
- Are you committed to a lifelong lifestyle that involves taking of supplementary vitamins and minerals? You are only partaking small amount of which may not be enough to sustain your body muscle mass.
- Are you committed to a regular check-up and follow up with your surgeon and the program you have chosen?
Dr. Arif Ahmad and his team of expert doctors and medical staff are highly recognized in New York. They helped several morbid obese patients live normal lives. They are equipped with technology, knowledge and skill to give you’re the best surgical care. Visit our website : https://www.drahmadmd.com
Contact us :
Long Island Laparoscopic Surgery | Weight Loss Surgery
CONNECT WITH US: