Best Ways to Clean Sterling Silver Jewelry
If you are looking for Online silver jewelry, you need to look no further than Gem In Silver. You will find just about every type of silver jewelry that you are looking for. Once you have your silver jewelry, you need to make sure you take care of it to keep it looking its best for years to come.
If you have silver that is pure in its form, it should not tarnish much because of the nature of alloy sterling silver has. This is not a defect in the material or because it is of an inferior quality but a natural chemical process in which the silver reacts with sulfur particles in the air. The best way to keep your sterling silver jewelry looking its best is to regularly clean it. One of the easiest ways to remove minor tarnish buildup on your sterling silver jewelry is by the use of a silver polish cloth that is designed for jewelry. Regular light polishing with a polish cloth is going to keep your jewelry free of tarnish build up. When you do polish your jewelry, use need to use care in making sure that you do not polish oxidized, plated or brushed finish areas. If heavy tarnish buildup does occur on your jewelry, you may need something a little stronger than just a polish cloth. Liquid dip cleaners or paste silver cleaners are not recommended to be used on jewelry because they usually create more problems than they solve. If your jewelry contains gemstones, it should be taken to a professional jeweler in order for it to be cleaned.
Removing Heavy Tarnish on Silver with No Gemstones
To remove heavy tarnish from plain silver pieces of jewelry, the following method should be used :
- Line shallow glass dish with aluminum foil
- Lay silver jewelry on foil
- Sprinkle thin layer of baking soda over jewelry
- Boil enough distilled water to completely cover all of the jewelry
- Stand back and slowly pour hot water over the jewelry until it is completely immersed (it should bubble up and give off a rotten-egg smell)
- With a wooden or plastic utensil, gently move the jewelry, making sure all silver surfaces touch the aluminum
- Carefully remove jewelry and rinse thoroughly with distilled water
- Dry jewelry completely with a soft cotton cloth, making sure to let air dry for a few minutes
- Wipe off jewelry with a silver jewelry polish cloth
- Store jewelry in a plastic zip-lock bag, removing as much air as possible, until you are ready to wear it
- Do not store jewelry in the plastic bag until the jewelry is completely dry
Everyone loves silver jewelry but it needs to be taken care of in order for it to last. With proper care, your Online silver jewelry will last a lifetime. As long as you take a few minutes of regular maintenance on your pieces of jewelry, you are going to be rewarded with a lifetime of enjoyment.
Source : Click Here