Taking the First Step
How to be Confident and Improve Yourself
We faced many unusual situations in life, and sometimes we scared. We are scared to take the first step in life, because we won’t know what will happen after that. For example, in college, sometimes it is hard to take the first step to ask a question to the lecturer, because maybe people will judge you later because of your question. (even i’m afraid to take the first step to write for the first time in Medium, but here goes nothing..)
I’m 21 years old, yet I have already made many mistakes in life, because I’m afraid to take the first step. My dad, always give me advices to make many mistakes while still young, by taking that very first step, and enjoy the moment. Sometimes it is easier said than done, because if it is easy, everyone would do it. And i believe that.
By taking the first step, it means that we are improving ourselves to be better each day. This is my tips on how to take the first step and to improve yourself: (in no particular order)
- Do what you love, love what you do. To take the first step, you need to understand your passion first. Because if you love what you do, you won’t be afraid on what will come next.
- Read as many reference as you can. Sounds cliche, but sometimes how people talk will be judged by what kind of book he/she read. By reading good books, you can also add your knowledge and improve yourself.
- Find mentor(s). We need someone to look up to. A mentor will always give you many advice and motivation on how you should take your first step (if you are afraid). If you haven’t found it, go find one.
- Inspire and be inspired by others. What is life without sharing? Maybe we could be inspired by many famous people such as Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, Mahatma Gandhi, etc. But don’t forget to be the inspiration that people want. Share thoughts, help people with what you want, and you will improve yourself.
- Never judge people. Treat others you would like to be treated. If you don’t want to be judged on taking the first step, then you also shouldn’t judge people by what they did.
- Do your best and let God do the rest. Should I say more?