Melanin Habits: Bruce Fields
The quiet time during my scripture reading and prayer is really important to me.
- Quickly describe your morning routine.
I wake up around 7:30am and check my email or missed messages. Read my Bible scripture of the day and pray. Drink a glass of water. Shower and dress for the day. Cook breakfast and do my daily blog scroll and news outlets, from ESPN to AdWeek magazine.
2. How often do you change your morning routine?
Usually, the only time the routine changes is if I’m traveling or I do not necessarily need to be up at 7:30am.3.
Do you use an alarm or a specific app to help you wake up?
My body usually wakes itself up. If I’m headed out for travel, I’ll use an alarm clock.
4. Do you eat breakfast in the morning, if so, what do you typically have?
Bacon, egg whites and cheese sandwich. Glass of orange juice. I try to get it simple and possibly portable if need be.
5. What is the first drink you have in the morning, and at what time?
I usually drink a glass of water when I get up and a glass of orange juice with my breakfast. I’m not a coffee drinker but I’ll take a hot tea while I work.
6. Do you exercise in the morning and/or meditate in the morning?
Currently, I haven’t been working out, but when I do, I workout in the morning because my days usually run late into the evening and if I do not work out in the morning I will not have a chance at night.
I usually just do cardio, roughly 3 miles to get the blood flowing and break a sweat.
7. How soon after waking up do you check your phone? [Check/send emails, social media]
Immediately. Emails first, and then missed calls or texts. Then, I’ll do my social media scroll throughout the morning.
8. What are the most important tasks you complete in the morning
The quiet time during my scripture reading and prayer is really important to me. It serves as a “calm before the storm” that the day usually turns into.
9. What is your bedtime routine?
No bedtime routine really. One last check of emails and I’m off to bed.
10. Are you able to keep the same routine when you’re traveling or in a different environment?
It’s usually hard for me to keep the same routine.
11. Do you stick to your routine on the weekends or do you tweak it?
I tweak things for the weekend depending on if I have work to do or if I don’t. Weekends are definitely a later start to things.
12. Do you see a change in your day if you forget/don’t to follow your morning routine?
Yes, it’s noticeable to me but I just try to be more mindful about it for the next day.
13. What project(s) are you currently working on which adds value to your life?
I’m the Executive Director of a creative collective called the Field Mobb were I manage 16 creatives and their brands. The mission is to help them with brand management and growth of their creative futures, while bringing cool and different events and experiences to the local community. Aside from that, I’m a freelance photographer and videographer so I’m usually shooting lifestyle streets shots or product shots for different brands. I also have a few personal projects in the horizon.
Bruce “Bo” Fields is the Executive Director of The Field Mobb, a freelance photographer/videographer, and brand manager. He values authenticity and effort, and possess a passion for helping others take an idea and make it a reality.
Read more daily habit and sign up for the newsletter on Melanin Habits