We take a look and compare Artificial Grass Vs Real Turf to see if there really is much difference between the two.
How expensive is Natural grass VS Artificial grass?
To lay quality turf on an average sized garden (50m2) you’re looking at:
- Skim off existing lawn, either with a spade or rent a turf cutter — £121.50 per day from HSS Hire
- Rotovate and add some quality top soil — £70.80 per bag from Top Soil Shop
- Level, compact then fluff the top surface to give the turf something to knit into. Hire of rotovator — £48 per day from HSS Hire
- Turf selection: B&Q lists their turf at £280 which covers 58.52m2 (an average garden is 50m2), but the premium medowmat currently sells for £400 which covers 20m2.
- A Grass roller to smooth the lawn £15 per day HSS Hire
- Then you need your Grass feed or fertiliser, Vitax Lawn clear — Green up is currently £11.99 on Amazon, and covers approx 200sq meters, which means you can feed a 50m2 lawn 4 times.
- Possibly a weed killer, Weedol Lawn weedkiller is currently £14.99 on Amazon.
- Seeding — yes you may need to seed your freshly laid natural lawn if any bald patches appear, or just to thicken it up & help it take hold. £35.95 for Top Quality Grass seed on Amazon.
- Watering — The Royal Horticultiral Society recomends “watering once a week” and a “1 sq m (1 sq yd) needs about 20-litres (5 gallons) of water every seven days”. Your water bill is going to rise, especially if you’re metered.
- And finally you’re looking at paying for 2 days labour for 2 people. Building Sheriff lists this as £120-£180 per day in the north of England and £200-£300 in the south.
Total between £963.94 and £1883.94 — your quotes may vary based on your location.
How much does artificial grass cost to be installed?
Job Prices website lists the cost of artificial grass installation at £2050.
This is not for luxury artificial grass to be installed in your garden. It’s for a £10-£40 per sq meter grass to be nailed to a wooden frame. This is something we do not recommend. Most manufacturers will not give you a warranty on the base of this kind of installation, simply because it rots.
Wonderlawns installations can be guaranteed for 10 years, as we install the correct level base, as well as a commercial grade weed membrane and then use a specialist infill evenly distrobuted across your new lawn with industry standard machinary.
Then our final step is a high speed motorised brushing, which allows the infill to fall in to the correct position and supports the grass staying upright, in a uniform way.
And that’s it. You’re done. No more feeding, seeding, cutting. You’re just free to enjoy your lush, green, all year round lawn!
Artificial Grass lawn will not only cut your water bill, it will save you on maintenance costs and most importantly add value to your property by giving you a perfect, maintenance free lawn.
Artificial Grass Vs Real Turf will be slightly more expensive in the short term, but over 2–3 years artificial grass is more cost effective than a natural lawn. Fact.
See Wonderlawns full range of artificial grass products by clicking here.