World Chess Grand Prix Transmission Policy
World Chess has formulated chess moves transmission policy that will be applied to the FIDE Grand Prix Series 2019. This policy is approved by FIDE and ends a protracted dispute regarding the control over the live broadcast of the games.
The policy allows other sites to relay the live moves of the games but either through an official widget provided to the sites by the organizer (World Chess is the organizer for the Grand Prix events), or directly, with a clearly displayed message: “official broadcast is available on [organizer’s site] and link to [organizer’s site]. The statement must be placed in direct view of the board visualization and visible at all times during the live broadcast.
Video broadcast remains the property of the organizer and can be distributed at their full discretion.
The Live Moves Transmission Policy for the FIDE Grand Prix Series 2019 states:
— World Chess authorizes broadcasting of the moves by third party websites under one of the following conditions:
• The third party site uses official widget of the event (the widget is developed by World Chess under FIDE Guidance). The widget provides live relay of the World Chess Grand Prix Series, can be customized by the website’s administrator and can be embedded into any website by pasting several lines of automatically generated code.
• The site uses its own broadcasting tool. However, it must place in a prominent location, next to the live relay of the moves and in constant view of the board (boards), the statement: Official broadcast is available on worldchess.com and link to worldchess.com). The statement must be clearly visible and legible. In case of a multi-board view, a single link is sufficient.
• World Chess is open for granting other non-exclusive broadcasting rights to third-party sites under individual license arrangements.
— World Chess and FIDE will broadcast free video stream of the Moscow Grand Prix on the official World Chess and FIDE online channels. World Chess will also offer premium video services (such as multi-camera view) with additional features for members.
1. The basic service is free for users for the Moscow Grand Prix
2. All third parties are allowed to embed the video on the condition that they follow Moves broadcast policy (i.e. use the widget or place a prominent link to World Chess, the organizer of the Series).