6 ways to say suck it!
I will not let you kill my dreams
I have spent a large portion of my life paralyzed by the fear of looking silly. To be honest, it was a fear of opinions of me and the potential for others to say negative things about me. One bad experience has the potential to make a huge impact on the way you perceive others. The compulsion to control what people think of me currently plays an active role in my decision-making process, albeit today, to a much lesser degree.
I once dreamed of one day becoming a celebrated singer. (queue the tiny violins)
When I was in junior high school, I “taped” (telling my age) all the latest songs from the radio, and played them back over and over. I sang them all until I perfected the sound of my favorite tunes. Eventually, I worked up the nerves to try out for a play at school. I decided that I was going to be the star of…Grease!!!
Laugh if you must
If you know me, there are more than a couple of reasons I was never going to be the star of that show, but I never realized the hurdles I faced. In the end, I didn’t get the part I wanted. I was relegated to a non-speaking, non-singing role.
(BTW) Mrs. Little, wherever you are today, I want you to know that you suck ass and I will never forgive you for your poor assessment of talent!
I’m totally over it now though. :-D
For a long time I never let anyone see or hear me sing anything. I wanted to sing desperately, but I wanted to save the remains of my pride more. This one event changed the trajectory of my stardom and now I’m here giving advice to you lovely readers. I have learned that at some point you have to be willing to tell others to suck it, and go for what you want. You only have yourself to blame for the dreams you never chase.
The 6 ways to say…
- Negative assessments from others reflect their insecurities rather than your shortcomings: Never value anyone’s opinion over your own. Feedback is one thing, being a hater is quite another.
- Being anything less than yourself is acting: Fake it if you want, you are the only one who has to live in your skin.
- You have one shot at the life you want: I think this is self-explanatory.
- So what if your worse case scenario comes true: There is nothing you can’t handle, have faith in yourself.
- Ditch the dead weight: Bad friends and naysayers are not worth the maintenance, skip it.
- Not everyone wants the best for you: Be careful what you share with others. Some people want you to succeed and some want you to fail. If you aren’t sure about what side they are on, it’s probably the wrong one.
You deserve anything you are willing to work for. Get out there and go for it.