Royalties Update #004
Dates to remember …
A few things to keep an eye out for at the end of Feb …
- APRA statements due for the September quarter, including quarterly live performance income for activity in the period.
- Royalty accounts on 60 day accounting terms due at the end of this month.
- Spotify Publishing Settlement claim submissions was due to be available this month. Seems to be a bit behind but you can keep an eye out here for more info or sign up to be advised.
In the news …
- Pandora paying artist’s neighbouring rights to labels: This money, typically held by the artist, could now be getting lost in the shuffle. We break it down for you in our latest medium post.
- Songwriters getting some mechanical love: Landmark ruling sees streaming mechanical rates rise by 44% over 5 years in the biggest rate increase in forever.
- Enrique vs. Universal for “improper accounting”: Pre-streaming deals continue to cause headaches. Moral of the story: CHECK YOUR WORDING. And keep checking your statements!
- Youtube to implement ID numbers for songwriters and artists: It’s no secret that Youtube royalty accounting is a nightmare (trust us, we know,) and money is likely slipping through the cracks. This is a step in the right direction.
- Politicians using your music? What can you do?: Should a politician be able to put your song in his public playlist if you don’t like his politics? Is this equivalent to a brand doing to the same thing? Spotify has rules about brands and artists. How slippery is this slope?
As always, don’t hesitate to touch base for any royalty related questions. We’re always happy to chat!
WSRA Service Spotlight
Royalty Statement Production: For anyone who’s contractually obliged to provide royalty accounting. You could be:
- An indie label who needs to account to artists.
- An artist who needs to account for sample use.
- An artist who needs to account producer points.
- A band who needs to account to a leaving member.
- An artist required to account post-term management commission.
Find out more about our statement production service, right here.