NativeScript Plugins — A Deep Dive Quick Video Reference
NativeScript Developer Days 2017 took place in New York City on September 18–19. The nStudio team presented an hour and a half long deep dive presentation on various NativeScript plugin development details. Topics ranging from AndroidManifest, Android Activities, Java Interfaces, iOS development overview, CocoaPod integration, Swift handling, Plugin layout, Metadata generation for 3rd party integrations, tips/tricks and much more on NativeScript plugin development are covered.
To make this long and detailed presentation easier to pick and pull from, here is a quick link reference guide:
Android specifics by Brad Martin
- What is AndroidManifest.xml?
- What is an Android Activity?
- Activities in Plugins
- What is a Java Interface?
Android + NativeScript by Brad Martin
Apple specifics by Nathan Walker
- XCode and Mac/iOS dev overview
- What is Swift?
- A look at Swift side by side with Objective C
- How do Apple developers share open source libraries?
- CocoaPods vs. npm in numbers
iOS + NativeScript by Nathan Walker
- How to use CocoaPods with NativeScript?
- Add a package.json to your NativeScript plugin
- How to add internal plugin to project?
- Isolate plugin integration
- Add typings for your plugin
- Manual development workflow option
- Generate TypeScript declarations for CocoaPods and 3rd party iOS libraries
- A faster plugin development workflow?
- You Swift’d Me! A Lesson with Swift plugin integrations
- How to expose Swift enums to NativeScript
- Swift Exposed — Behind the Scenes with integrations
Plugin Details — A further look by Nathanael Anderson
iOS Plugin Details by Nathanael Anderson
- CocoaPod integration overview
- iOS framework library integration
- What is the build.xcconfig file?
- iOS metadata generation — Detailed vs. Typing
Android Plugin Details by Nathanael Anderson
More Plugin Details by Nathanael Anderson
- Plugin tips
- How to get more logging output out of NativeScript?
- Public Plugin listing — How to get your plugin listed?
We hope this helps explain a few topics which can be hard to remember.
If you are interested in a step by step guide to iOS/Objective C/Swift and Android/Java plugin integrations with NativeScript please refer to this egghead.io course:
For courses covering a range of NativeScript topics please enjoy:
Do you already know the basics and want to go deeper? Our NativeScript Pro courses will take you to a finished and…nativescripting.com
For bite sized tips (some include video) on various NativeScript topics please enjoy:
NativeScript Snacks are bite-sized videos and code snippets that teach you more than you ever wanted to know about…www.nativescriptsnacks.com
To play around with NativeScript right in the browser to your phone please enjoy: