It ain’t all Easy Street.

My second week into Toronto got off to a rocky start. After coming off a really positive first week and an awesome weekend, I don’t think I was prepared to come back to reality.

I’d fallen in love with Toronto since I first stepped out of Pearson International Airport and felt the cool breeze on my face. It’s been everything I’d wanted this city to be and so much more. The problem with this is that my stay here feels like a race against time. I have a return flight for the start of May and I’d like to be able to make an educated decision a few weeks prior to that on whether I need to go back to Sydney. I need a job of some description to ensure that my stay continues.

The job hunt so far has been quite strange. I didn’t think I’d stroll into Toronto, put up a sign saying “will design for food” and instantly be working. I also didn’t think I’d be coming up empty. What I’ve seen so far is that the advertising community has been hard to break into. The amount of times I have phoned people only to get through to voicemail was sapping the life out of me. I know I’ve got a lot to offer, possibly more so here than in Sydney, so the lack of response was baffling.

I’d entered Toronto with a basic plan that if things weren’t looking great after 6 weeks I’d have to swallow my pride and come home. For some reason I had been here for barely over a week and I was letting doubt creep in. I’d spent a few days hardly leaving the house and had been calling people who wouldn’t answer. It sucked. But then something clicked and it all fell into perspective. I’m not behind on any timeline. I’m set up perfectly and just needed to relax and exercise some patience.

So one pizza and a Toronto Raptors game later (this one was only on TV), I’d decided I was going to try to take a step back for a day and soak up some of Toronto. Strangely enough, when I did this things actually started to happen on the job front. I’ve got a meeting with a recruiter on Monday who described my work as very impressive. Then I received another message about a possible job opportunity. It’s amazing what a difference 24 hours can make!

Armed with some good news, I made the trek from my current home to the downtown area. Walking was a pretty ridiculous idea considering it’s a long way to go and the temperature was -1, but I saved myself $2.80! I was just looking forward to some good food and some good coffee though. Given the sheer amount of options available in Toronto it’s really hard to decide where to go for food. So why not let my buddy Google do the work for me? I stumbled across a place called VegHed which looked pretty impressive. Then off I went!

Walking south down Dundas Street West. You can see the CN Tower sticking out in the middle of the photo.
Probably the best soup ever. True story.

I almost walked past VegHed but thankfully something caught my eye. When I went inside I was immediately greeted by the chef. Their menu is quite small which I am a massive fan of. I tend to find vegetarian restaurants tricky because I’m faced with 20 times the amount of options I’m used to having! On this occasion I decided a nice Thai curry soup would warm me up. It was also recommended by some random woman eating in the store. What really impressed me was that the chef didn’t just pour soup in a bowl and hand it to me. He put some time and effort to craft the salad mixture freshly which you can see on the left of the photo. They even gave me a free cup of homemade honey lemon tea which was very impressive in its own right. I would definitely recommend this place if you’re a vegetarian in Toronto and I will be going back. To sweeten the deal I was given two free passes to Green Living Show which ends up being worth $30.

After eating I decided to try retrace my steps from Sunday with Taryn to see if I could find the cafe she took me to. It was much easier than I expected. Crafted on Ossington was what I was looking for and did I savour that delicious coffee? Oh yes. Yes, I did.

By the time I’d finished my coffee I’d walked half way up Queen West. So then I walked all the way through to the Eaton Centre and caught the subway home. Apparently I’d walked roughly 10km across my little adventure which is a pretty solid effort. I capped it all off with an Organic Chai from David’s Teas (it’s like a Canadian T2) which was also quite tasty.

It was nice to have a really good day again today. It’s also been a massive help having so many people back home wishing me well all the time. It’s nice to know you guys want to hear more on the blog so I’m trying to keep it as current as possible.

A big thank you to Carrie for constantly trying to help me out along the way too with the job hunt. Let it be known that I owe her a lot of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. She is an absolute star!

Like what you read? Give Kevin Murray a round of applause.

From a quick cheer to a standing ovation, clap to show how much you enjoyed this story.