An In-depth Review of Xarelto Side Effects
Rivaroxaban which is popularly referred to as xarelto is an anticoagulant which was developed with the aim of preventing and treating mainly the clotting of blood. The drug is lauded as a replacement for warfarin which has been proven to cause fatalities and is strenuous to monitor Xarelto is the only Factor Xa inhibitor which is taken orally. The other advantage of rivaroxaban is that the drug does not need frequent blood monitoring. On the downside, Xarelto has various side effects and in this article we will go through these side effects. The two major side effects of xarelto include:
- BleedingLike many other blood thinning drugs, hemorrhaging is arguably the most adverse and prevalent side effect that is associated with xarelto. Patients who are more susceptible to bleeding due to xarelto are those with bleeding disorders, extremes in body mass, abdominal or intestinal bleeding and patients who take other drugs. Xarelto has no proven antidote or any other medicine with a proven efficiency in the management of bleeding. Extensive bleeding might cause trauma or even fatal injuries.
- Epidural Hematoma Patients who are under xarelto are at risk of blood clots if they undergo a spinal tap procedure or receive an epidural. This condition can cause long-term paralysis and other related complications. The probability of epidural hematoma is increased by factors such as: drug-drug interactions, genetic spinal defects, recent epidural and spinal tap and spinal catheters.
The other side effects are not very prevalent and don’t occur regularly. These side effects are:
Heavy periods — Some women have been reported to experience periods which contain clots and have more blood.
1. Increase nasal bleeding — Nose bleeding is more frequent when using this drug.
2. Metabolism — The rate of metabolism is slower. This can affect other body functions and can cause chronic fatigue, gain in weight, high blood pressure, high cholesterol among other complications.
3. Nervous system — The effects of xarelto extend to the nervous system and bring various discomforts. It is documented that the drug might contribute to dizziness and mild headaches. In some rare cases, cerebral hemorrhaging might occur.
4. Heart complications — Heart complications are more common on patients who have atrial fibrillation. These heart complications may include but are not limited to: vein thrombosis, peripheral edema, hypertension and tachycardia.
5. Renal complications — the kidneys can also be affected by xarelto. The blood might contain more impurities such as urea and creatinine.
6. Skin — Patients using xarelto might experience skin irritation which leads to itching. Bruises are also common and take longer to heal.
These are some of the side effects and complications that patients who use xarelto experience. It is important to note that stopping using the drug without a doctor’s consent or an overdose can increase the risk of heart attacks among other risks. It is also clear that xarelto side effects depend on a variety of other unrelated factors. For patients who believe that they have experienced adverse side effects due to xarelto there is a reprieve. Xarelto411.com is a site which aims at providing the much needed help for patients negatively impacted by xarelto. They provide all the information you need on compensation, insurance, legal representation and any other information. The best thing about xarelto411 is that you only pay when you receive compensation. Visit xarelto411.com for more information.