In the first part of XENIRO thought leadership series, we aim to demystify some of the myths from the origins of our whitepaper titled “Decentralized Ledger Infrastructure”. We’ll attempt to stimulate thoughts around:
- Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) existing competitive state.
- Why DLTs will create completely new ecosystem for MNOs.
- 5G + Multi-Access Edge Computing (MEC) complementing blockchain (Distributed Ledger Technology / DLT) is the perfect architectural fit.
Questions for Mobile Network Operators:
Through this newly defined infrastructure, with DLT enabled 5G MEC at the edge of the network. MNOs lead the transition into a new ecosystem where:
(1) Each single 5G MEC that operator deploys, is primarily seen as taking on the role of a digital bank (Processing payment transactions for a fee). In this instance, the operators MEC possesses the capability in automating IoT transactions. This is executed on the DLT (essentially a payment platform) with IoT devices (Machine-2-Machine) interactions, deployed over smart contracts.
(2) 5G MEC is an MNO owned infrastructure. With the implementation of DLT, OTTs will be required to partner and monetize within MNOs’ ecosystem. Turning the tides.
(3) Next evolution of Cloud 2.0 (Distributed & Decentralized Nano data centers) is at the edge of the network. 5G MEC infrastructure is operated and controlled by MNOs. High barriers for Web-Scale players as “edge becomes the new cloud” (but new competitive entrants are accelerating). Without repeating the same sacrifices made with cloud 1.0.
(4) With DLT deployed at the edge of the network, a newly defined set of mass scale IoT DApps (Decentralized Applications) developer’s growing community will be attracted onto the platform, accelerating MNOs monetization capability in this new infrastructure. Enabling a new breed of DApp services.
(5) 5G MECs in combination with DLT, are perfect complements to NFV-Network Slicing for IoT’s service federation. Thus, accelerating economies of scale for 5G investments.
DLTs represent an innovation towards the radical end of the change spectrum because of their potential to impact a broad extent in the new ecosystem and industries. This combined distributed architecture is based on distributed system concepts such as consistency, availability, durability, immutability and endurance. This new architecture brings a new set of monetizing capabilities (Automated Payment Platform — see below in red). Exposing MNOs value creation in these areas through Trust (Security, Identity and Privacy), Services (Device Interaction, Transaction, Performance, QoS), Experience (Real-time, Tactile, Customized), and Transformation (Monetization, New Ecosystem, Industry collaboration, Standardization) in this next wave of technology evolution.
5G shouldn’t be just about enhanced characteristics through connectivity (being the next “G”) or addressing extended uses cases. That would be sharing the same principal when the wireless industry evolved from 3G to 4G (it would just be an extension within the “existing” ecosystem). 5G and its capabilities should be about incubating a completely “new” ecosystem through this newly defined infrastructure (DLT, NFV, MEC, SDN). One that takes a giant leap as a value generator in breaking away from the current telco industry norm.
DLT is the missing platform enabler that will make or break the difference between being stuck in the existing ecosystem or evolving towards a new ecosystem in the blue ocean.
Stay tuned for Part 2, welcome to visit us @ xeniro.io