Using Style book


The Bay City Blue Birds rallied from a 3-run defect Tuesday night to defeat the Carmel Cardinals 6–3 and win the Western Tri-State Division Championship.

The Bluebirds are now assured a place in the Tri-State playoffs next week. Their opponent will be determined tonight in a game between the Santa Ana Generals and the Redwood Knights.

The Cardinals had a 3–0 lead in the eighth inning for most of the game against the Bluebirds.

The Bluebirds first baseman, Tim Story, walked and stole second base during half of the eighth inning. The left fielder, Biff Carbosi, was walked intentionally which made both runners move up a base on a wild pitch by Cardinal starter Ronnie Miller. Miller was then relieved by Chuck Nelson.

Bluebird’s second baseman,Carbo Garbey, lined Nelson’s first pitch into deep center field, scoring both base runners. Two pitches later, Garbey stole home and tied the game.

Nelson got the next two hitters out, but the Bluebird’s catcher, Carey Clarke, homered to put the Bluebirds ahead. The Bluebirds added two more runs in the ninth-inning to insure their victory.


A jury found a Midville, Georgia, man guilty of second-degree manslaughter after an hour’s worth of deliberations Tuesday.

Johnny Gene Garber was convicted at the end of a three day trial which featured his mother testifying against him. He was charged in the death of a 39-year-old brick-mason, Gardner Jackson, of 12 Ninth St. in Jonesville, North Carolina.

Garber stood silently as the jury read the verdict. The presiding Judge, Jonas T. McMillan, set a sentencing hearing for next Monday at 8 a.m.

Garber was charged with being drunk while driving down highway 69 last March. His car swerved out of control and ran head on into Jackson’s car, who had been attending services at Midville Baptist Church.

During the trial, the prosecution attorney, Able Sasson, called Garber’s mother, Minnie Lee Garber, to testify that her son had been drinking heavily at their home that evening before the accident occurred.

Garber could receive a sentence of two to five years in prison for the crime he committed.

Show your support

Clapping shows how much you appreciated Kaylee Marie’s story.