Business Plan Starter Kit
[This is a repost from my now defunct blog]
As a first-time startup founder, it’s quite overwhelming when it comes to preparing the paperwork for your first round of funding. I wanted to share a simple kit that helped me while I was raising first and second round for my venture, nexlabs.
The Pitch Deck
This is what you bring to your 30-minute coffee meetings. You should have this with you at all times. You never know when you’d be bumping into a potential investor.
- Solution (The product)
- How it works
- Market size
- How do you make money?
- Unfair advantage
- The team
- What you’re looking for (Funding, co-founder(s), technical team, etc.)
Don’t be that long-winded person with your pitch deck. Make it short / sweet and memorable.
The Business Plan
Basically, this is the longer version of your pitch deck. Everything that’s related to your business should be covered.
- Executive Summary — Company Overview, Vision, Mission, Team, Valuation, Exit Strategy
- The Business — Problem, Solution, Target Audience, Market Size, Competitors, Roadmap
- Team — Management, Advisors
- Sales & Marketing — Pricing Model, Sales Channels, Projections, SWOT, Marketing Strategy, Marketing Channels
- Operations — Org Chart, Recruitment Plan
- Financing — Financial Plan, Funding Request, Exit Strategy
Use above as a guideline. Feel free to add or remove elements. There’s no standard format for pitch decks and business plans. I hope I have managed to help you in some way or another.
All the best to your startup!