Looking to Remove Unwanted Love Handles? Here’s How!
Do you want to remove unwanted love handles? Who doesn’t because, let’s face it, there is not a lot to love about love handles! Also known as a “muffin top” (a roll of fat visible above the top of a pair of women’s tight-fitting low-waisted pants) or a “spare tire”, the excess body fat that sits around your abdominal area can be the hardest to lose. Not only can those unwanted love handles prevent you from fitting into your favorite pair of skinny jeans or that little black dress, but they can be harmful to your health. So what is the best way to get rid of them? There isn’t just one secret to losing love handles, it’s a combination of factors. Proper nutrition and regular exercise will be most important, but there are other products and non-invasive treatments that can provide a boost to get you looking and feeling good!
Ten foods that will help get rid of unwanted love handles and bring your midriff back in line!
- Oat Bran: While oatmeal is a terrific breakfast, with 8 grams of fiber and 12 grams of protein per cup, oat bran is a whole other level. It packs a whopping 18 grams of fiber and 20 grams of protein, for the same number of calories.
- Sweet Potatoes: The king of slow carbs! Meaning they’re digested slowly and keep you feeling fuller and energized longer.
- Shredded Wheat: To melt your love handles, look the a cereal with the most fiber and the least sugar. It’s hard to top Shredded Wheat; with its 9 grams of fiber per serving, and zero sugar, it’s one of the absolute best commercial cereal brands for people specifically looking to lose fat around their midsections.
- Black Rice: Also known as “forbidden rice” because only emperors were allowed to eat it, black rice may be the cheapest source of antioxidants around. According to the American Chemical Society, black rice has more antioxidants than a spoonful of blueberries, with more fiber, more vitamin E, and less sugar. More antioxidants means less inflammation, which means less fat storage for you.
- White Tea: White tea works in three distinct ways to help strip away fat from your body. A study published in the Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism showed that white tea can simultaneously boost lipolysis (the breakdown of fat) and block adipogenesis (the formation of fat cells). Another group of researchers found that the tea is also a rich source of antioxidant that triggers the release of fat from the cells and help speed the liver’s ability to turn fat into energy.
- Black Beans: High in fiber and low in fat, beans are a Zero Belly power food because they’re great source of resistant starch, meaning that they “resist” digestion, sticking around the digestive tract and helping you feel fuller longer. A study at the Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center even found that beans can lessen the accumulation of body fat. All beans do the trick, but the darker the bean, the greater its concentration of phytochemicals, which is why black is best.
- Jerusalem Artichokes: In one Canadian study, subjects who were supplemented with a type of gut-healthy insoluble fiber called oligofructose not only lost weight but reported less hunger than those who received a placebo. Researchers discovered that the subjects who received the fiber had higher levels of ghrelin — a hormone that controls hunger — and lower levels of blood sugar. Jerusalem artichokes — which are actually the roots of a type of sunflower — are one of the best sources of the fiber. Ogliofructose is also found in onions and leeks, as well as rye and barley.
- Pepitas: It’s the Spanish term for pumpkin seed, and if you consider them just jack o’lantern innards, you’re in for a treat. One ounce of seeds has eight grams of protein — more than an egg or almonds — and is rich in flat-belly nutrients like fiber, zinc and potassium, which are key to muscle building and recovery. Sprinkle them in salads or over oats.
- Raspberries: A cup of raspberries has 8 grams of fiber, compared to less than 3 grams in the same amount of strawberries. Insoluble fiber helps feed the healthy bacteria in your gut, triggering the production of a fatty acid that reduces fat-causing inflammation throughout your body. And in a Canadian study, researchers discovered that those whose diets were supplemented with insoluble fiber had higher levels of ghrelin — a hormone that controls hunger.
- Oysters: Oysters are one of the best food sources of zinc, a mineral that works with the hormone leptin to regulate appetite. Research shows that overweight people tend to have higher levels of leptin and lower levels of zinc than slimmer folk. A study published in the journal Life Sciences found that taking zinc supplements could increase leptin production in obese men by 142 percent! A half-dozen oysters only has 43 calories but provides 21 percent of your RDA of iron — deficiencies of which have been linked to a significant increase in fat gene expression.
A 10-Minute love handle workout!
- 40 Woodchoppers: (20 on each side). Using one hand weight, stand with your feet hip-width apart with your weight on your left leg. Start by holding the weight in both hands up by your left shoulder. Next, twist to make a chopping motion down towards your right hip. Allow your feet and knees to pivot with the twist. Raise the weight back up to your left shoulder and repeat for 20 reps. Next work your right side.
- 50 Russian Twists: Sit on your butt with your knees bent and feet flat on the ground. Your torso should be leaning back at a 45 angle to the floor. Hold a dumbbell with both hands. Lift your feet from the ground, crossing them at the ankles and balancing on your butt. From this position, twist your torso to the right and touch your dumbbell to the ground next to your body. Next, twist back over to the left touching the weight to the left side of your body. Repeat back and forth, all while balancing with your legs and torso raised off of the ground.
- 30 Side Plank Hip Lifts: (15 on each side). Get into side plank position with your elbow on the ground and your legs and hips resting on the ground. Engaging your abs and keeping your body in a straight line, raise the lower half of your body up off the ground into a straight plank position. Lower again and repeat. Do 15 on your right side, and then 15 on your left side.
- 30 Bicycle Crunches: Lie on your back with your knees bent and your hands behind your head. Do not clasp your hands together. Engage your abs, lifting your shoulders and upper back off of the ground. At the same time, move your right elbow toward your left knee so that they meet in the middle of your body. Next, switch your position by bringing your left elbow to your right knee. Continue as quickly as possible while still keeping your torso raised up off the ground.
- Bliss Lovehandler Waist-Targeting Cooling Gel: Bliss’ Lovehandler firms and tones your waist and back with an energizing extended release caffeine, and a cool burst of mint oil. The caffeine helps to stimulate circulation to visually improve and minimize the appearance of excess fluid retention that contributes to visible cellulite while Creatine boosts cellular metabolism. For best results, use Lovehandler twice a day for 20–30 seconds. Just massage a silver-dollar-sized amount of the gel all the way around your waist, including your back.
- Waist Gang Society’s Waist Trainer & Sweat Belt: What is waist training? Wearing a corset to cinch your core, hips, and back. The idea is to wear it for a certain amount of time every day, and eventually, your body “molds” itself into a slimmer figure. Celebs like Kim Kardashian West and the other Kardashian girls swear by this technique!
Non-Invasive Cosmetic Treatment
CoolSculpting: With CoolSculpting, problem areas like love handles, are targeted directly. Applicators are applied to the surface of the skin where they proceed to freeze the fat cells, causing them to die and, over time, be processed out of the body. The technique is noninvasive with zero incisions. The approach is purely topical. However, there is a “recovery” time as it can be about two months before results are fully realized. Dr. Whitfield, an Austin based Breast and Body Surgeon knows just what to expect with CoolSculpting because before he brought it into his own practice, he tried it! He found it to be so effective that he purchased two machines. Patients can address two areas simultaneously — like both love handles! Each CoolSculpting session takes about an hour and won’t distract you from working on your laptop, talking on your phone, or otherwise taking your mind elsewhere. Both men and women are benefiting equally from CoolSculpting. Dr. Whitfield says “it’s just like wearing an ice pack.” But this “ice pack” can easily help you lose an inch or two around your waist. It is recommended that patients undergo two sessions (per area) to achieve the best results. Two visits, two inches, and zero downtime!