5 Tips to Prevent Outsourcing Disasters to Ensure Success
Outsourcing is a boon. Thanks to its cost saving expansive process, broadened talent pools, cost constricting, and enhanced focus on core operation and reduced time to market and many more credits. Though celebrated for its laurels, the facility comes with a certain level of inherent risks and an unsuccessful offshore project can compromise the predetermined benefits. If your company is initiating an offshore strategy for the very first time, you must get all the preconceived notions on outsourcing clear. Remember, a lot of outsourcing projects are labeled a disaster mainly due to failure at handling human resources, products turning out to be a lot different than what was expected, an uncontrollable financial outflow and a much slower process.
So can one reduce these risks and strategize outsourcing projects without any hassle?
Having a clear plan can help but first and foremost, understand that outsourcing projects aren’t magic tricks that can bring about a change at the very beginning. And secondly, make wise choices after taking the pros and cons of the action into consideration. Choosing a good development partner is crucial but managing the work from a distance is equally excruciating. If you feel it is necessary to get a better perspective of the outsourcing story, here’s a list of five essentials you ought to keep in mind while outsourcing your process:
1. Precise Documentation is the foundation: All processes that have managed to achieve the success tag have one thing in common — a thorough documentation to support the work to be done. Yet, for a strong documentation, one has to have a clear vision about all that they intend to achieve out of the process. This very thought must be documented carefully. If you need help in getting certain concepts clear, make sure your hire an expert to help you sort the plan, to help convey the vision onto paper and create a roadmap.
They can help visualize and launch and test your imagination. Make your vision a bit more with different versions prepared to make every plan a bit clearer than the previous one. This will help your team with better clarity and a roadmap that will help direct their efforts towards the right path. In most cases, lack of clarity has resulted in unwanted redesigning and code re-framing. In short, have a vision, get it clarified with the help of a precise documentation process.
2. Make sure your team and you are in sync: Plan and work in such a way that you look forward to the project as a long-term process. No matter what sort of a project is it that you are outsourcing, a short term assignment, make sure you opt for an extended team support rather than confining to a limited connect. Understand that your association with a team is not limited till a product is made or a software is developed. You will need them for a long while. If your developer is an agency, interact with the designers and developers directly. This will make things a bit easier for them. Have direct access to your team; it will help you a long way. Understand the people assigned to the task. Connect with technical project persons in particular.
The architect level people and developers. These people are crucial since they should be able to understand your ideas are able to communicate further with the other team members. Get to know their level of expertise, make sure that you thoroughly check the profile of key persons. Also, try to help them all work out of a common location. If you have your teams dispersed at different locations, you may have to deal with the time zone delays. Communicate via easy channels so that vital information is not lost in the process. Make an easy channel to keep a track of the work done or revisions if any, to be made. Make sure no communication is lost and everything is tracked.
3. Keep a check: Make sure that you check on the work proceedings regularly. Keep in touch with the concerned team and schedule a little meeting at least once or twice a week to find out how things are shaping up at their end. Motivate your team, explain your needs again; this will help you build a better relationship with your team. Be aware of each of their working hours and patterns. Make it mandatory for each one to track their timing and work. Make sure that you are kept informed of almost every aspect with regard to the project and talk to the key persons personally.
4. Constant testing process: The code must pass a certain test for every build and so it’s imperative for you to create a ‘build acceptance test’ or a ‘product acceptance test’ for a wider purpose. This test should test all the functionalities, aspects or any other important factor. In case you have outsourced the development of a mobile app, your testing must cover three areas: the functionality, stability and the performance. For a better workflow, test everything as per the documentation and provide quicker feedback so that there isn’t any delay. If they have questions and are able to find answers based on your quick response, they will be able to work in the right direction.
5. Response and Action: Though you are geographically away from the team, do everything possible to provide them with quick responses. Time zone conflicts are one of the common issues outsourcing projects face. This hazard may be limited by providing quick responses to the team’s queries and regular feedback. Try to be prompt and avoid a stall in the development process. To make sure that your work is completed on time and perfected as per requirement.
The penultimate rule to make any process successful is by not expecting any unrealistic results from the outsourcing process as a whole. Rather, make sure you take calculated steps while planning the process and are able to maintain a quality relationship with the offshore IT staff to get the best results. Unrealistic expectations coupled with unspecified goals and roadmap can prove fatal. The limitations, though many, may be converted into opportunities if you have a clear vision of your success.
Any doubts or questions about outsourcing? Do you feel you can save costs in your upcoming technology and programming plans? We think you can save more than you think you can. We offer a free consultation to give you a clearer idea about your own virtual office or team here in India. Just drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. At, YourTeaminIndia.com, we’re all ears to new ideas and views.