The Good And Not-So-Good Aspects Of Server Colocation Services
Individual servers are so out nowadays. More and more organizations are moving to networked systems. This is because they realize the myriad advantages of colocation solutions that far outweigh the benefits of individual servers.
That’s not to say that there shouldn’t be ample thought given to such a move. In any business’s IT strategy, an important part is the decision to move or expand the data center. After all, it is vital to compare the costs and advantages associated with owning and operating a data center as opposed to going for colocation services.
Here are some advantages of going for server colocation services:
1. The client would be renting equipment, such as bandwidth, rack space, cooling systems, firewalls, etc. instead of buying them. And most of this equipment is shared by the other customers of the Data Center in India facility. This brings down the cost of operations to a great extent. So there is less capital cost involved.
2. The business can enjoy the enormous level of scalability this move entails. Any time there is a spike in traffic they can easily and quickly add more rack space to host additional servers.
3. Data breach issues have been increasing steadily, and sometimes it feels like there’s no end in sight. It often means a disaster to companies what with penalties becoming higher and regulations becoming stricter than ever. Leading colocation services, like CloudOYE, have multi-tiered security systems in place to fight problems like unauthorized access, fire, natural disasters, forced entry, etc. With them, businesses can be sure of the safety of their data and mission-critical applications.
4.Redundancy is a vital component of any data center and it is, at most times, impossible for any private data center to have full power capacity. Almost all Server Colocation Services in India would have power feeds from multiple plants and so they can offer 100% power capacity to their clients. This would also include power for high-density applications that might require more power.
5.With colocation services, businesses can get rid of the hidden costs of maintaining their IT infrastructure. One small example of these costs is the replacement of UPS batteries. These small expenses can add up to be a large sum eventually for any organization. Also, most of these colocation facilities keep investing in newer and greener technologies and by collaborating with them, businesses can do their bit in going green.
6. With the high networking options offered by colocation services, businesses can rest assured of reliability and availability. They can easily choose the best solution for their needs in a carrier-neutral setting.
7. The round the clock expert, dedicated support offered by colocation services means enormous peace of mind to the client. There is always a local troubleshooter that’s available for assistance for even the smallest issue with the infrastructure.
8.Colocation also means effective disaster recovery solutions. Even if there is a calamity, the client’s business remains unaffected since offshore servers and equipment ensure that your business remains operational.
These are the advantages. Now here are some not-so-good aspects of colocation.
1. For very large organizations, it makes more financial sense to have their own data centers. Especially if they store their servers or applications in house. This is because they can then access these through a high-speed LAN network, which would ensure lower latency and higher speed.
2. Some solutions providers are unable to monitor servers with the not-so-common operating systems such as Debian or FreeBSD. It is always a better idea to check all the small details with the providers before signing on the dotted line.
3. Some providers do not offer the option of scaling down in their yearly contract. The client must check this aspect before finalizing with them.