Bad Design @ Bucknell
Working at Bucknell is a whole lot of fun. However, submitting your time sheet is not. The first time I had to fill out my hours, it took me several minutes to even figure out how to begin. After that, I realized I had submitted only one week’s worth of hours, when the standard pay-period is two. This resulted in my supervisor having to fix my timesheet after the fact.
In this post, I’ll attempt to break down the design flaws that I encounter on the Banner Web Time Sheet.
I’m first presented with this screen:
After a bit of navigation, it becomes clear that one should click ‘Enter Hours’ to enter their hours. Upon selecting that, I am presented with this screen:
From here I was a bit lost. At first I hadn’t even noticed anything changed on the page. I expected a text input box to appear where I had clicked ‘Enter Hours’, but this was not the case. Instead, a new line was appended to the end of the rows of information about the timesheet, one of which says “Hours”. This is where you must enter the hours. I believe this is designed quite poorly, as my intuition completely misguided me here. The natural, intuitive flow of basic text input should be kept in mind when designing.
Once a day has been selected, fill out the Hours form shown above and select ‘Save’. This will then load the hours for that day into the calendar view shown beneath.
After entering each day’s hours, you would assume the next step would be to submit the timesheet. I learned this is incorrect. Instead, you must click the Next button to take display the next week’s dates. These dates are not presented initially, even though the pay period spans two weeks. I feel as though during the design of this system, this idea should seem obvious that for a two week pay period, 14 days should be shown to the user for hour entry.
Only once all days have their hours entered (tediously) am I able to submit my timesheet. This is done using a button that seems randomly placed beneath the calendar view:
It is my notion the ‘Submit for Approval’ button should be somewhere much more conspicuous. Again, another poor design choice seems to have been implemented.