#4 Coworking, paying the living wage and dancing robots
1. TURF @ Broadacre House - new coworking space launch
TURF, the new coworking space at Broadacre House, is launching with afternoon tea on Thursday 26 May 2016 between 14.00 and 16.00.
TURF is your space: it's for freelancers, activists, makers, creatives, active citizens, social entrepreneurs and charity/community workers, anyone working to make Newcastle a better city. It's somewhere to work, collaborate, be inspired, share ideas and build networks. Join and be part of the Broadacre House community.
You will be added to a free prize draw to win a month's free membership if you sign up to come along to the launch event. You can also book a free taster day to try out TURF for yourself. Free stuff and strawberries, what's not to like?
Feel free to share this with all your friends and colleagues!
(Full disclosure: I’m a trustee of Northern Creative Solutions, the charity that runs Broadacre House, and have my office there too.)
2. The Living Wage
I’m proud to be a trustee of two charities that have committed to pay the Living Wage – Scotswood Natural Community Garden (also a registered Living Wage employer) and Northern Creative Solutions, the charity that runs Broadacre House. The Living Wage is worked out every year to cover the basic cost of living in the UK, and is now £8.25 per hour (£9.40 per hour in London). It is an important way to help people out of poverty. The Living Wage Foundation recognises and celebrates the leadership shown by Living Wage employers across the UK.
My challenge to you: what are you doing about paying people the Living Wage?
3. What's in my diary
I'm going to/helping out at/hosting a few things in May and June 2016 that you might be interested in too. And between them you'll get a chance to be challenged, to learn and to dream big. You need to register for all of them.
- 19 May - North East Together, the leaders network for social change #6: Health, devolution and social movements
- 24 May - Urbanistas NE: Creative cities - space, women, economy at Cobalt Studios
- 26 May - launch of TURF, the coworking space at Broadacre House
- 16 June - Little Heresies #14: Curb your neuro-enthusiasm Professor Sue White, University of Birmingham
- 23 June - Collaboration Superheroes meet up #3 2016 (we'll update the booking page with what we'll be doing very soon and time is TBC)
- 30 June - Newcastle social media surgery at Pink Lane Cafe
I might see you there!
You can listen to previous Little Heresies talks if you missed them or want to hear them again.
4. And finally...
...something to make you smile (watch it and save it for a rainy day). "Wir sind die Roboter" *plink, plink, plink, plink*