Growing microgreens and other growing adventures
For this week’s exploration of food resilience, I decided to try to grow some microgreens. I will also document other edible plants that I have growing in my apartment.
2 soil experiment
I had an extra plant container laying around and some soil at home that I use for my houseplants. So, I decided to conduct an experiment. I decided to use both soils (the one at home and the one packed in the kit) and see if there was a difference in the sprouting of the microgreens.
Above is an image of my empty corgi pot. I filled it with my soil from home and sprinkled in some of the microgreen seeds and water it.
Next, I had a candle that I completely burned down. So I poured hot water into it to melt the leftover wax and loosen the glue that held the wick in place (I do this to all my candles so I can reuse the glass jars). Since the candle jar didn’t have a drainage hole, I put some rocks at the bottom so that it can act as drainage to not waterlog the soil. After that, I put in the expanding soil and water it. The expansion took me by such surprise! I didn’t realize it would puff up so much. Once the soil was fully expanded, I put in the seeds.
Next, I put them both in the same corner on the same window sill and waited to see what happened.
The seeds in the candle jar seemed to have puffed up. I couldn’t see anything new in the corgi pot so I didn’t take any pictures.
I woke up to tiny green sprouts coming out of the soil! I was so happy! I also noticed that only after 2 days, the soil looked quite dry, so I gave it a little water. The above picture was taken in the morning. The picture below was taken later in the afternoon.
The microgreens are sprouting taller and quite vigorously! There seemed to be no difference in the home soil and the kit soil. Again, I noticed that the soil was dry. These plants really do take quite a lot of water.
Other plants I’m growing
Other than the microgreens, I am growing a few other plants at home. I have a pot of basil that sits on my kitchen window sill that we use for cooking sometimes. I have a cherry tomato plant that produces many 6 tomatoes a summer season. I also recently sprouted a lemon sprout from a lemon seed leftover from cooking.
It occurred to me that what I’m growing now isn’t nearly enough for me to eat. I would need a rooftop at least to grow the number of vegetables I would need to eat. It was also quite obvious to me how much water was needed just to grow something so small. To water a rooftop, it would exponentially increase my water consumption.