About Me — JL Matthews
Not to brag, but I’m awesome at virtual kindergarten.
I love this idea and format. I must credit Zulie Rane, Danny Forest, and Violet Daniels, who, as far as I’m aware, came up with it. Also, a shout out and thanks to Quy Ma and Jennifer Marie. “About Me Stories” is a wonderful way to foster a sense of community, and I’m thrilled to learn more about my fellow Medium dwellers!
Hi! I’m JL Matthews. I’m about forty years old and happily-married. I live in the southern US with my wife, two daughters, and dog.
As is typical of most writers, I have an aptitude for banking. I worked in the financial services industry for over a decade — imagine tall buildings filled with cubicles. Around 2018, I escaped through a hidden passage and have been living a disreputable life as a stay-at-home father and writer since then.
I joined Medium in June 2020, which means I’ve been financially independent since mid-July.
If you’ve been here a while, you’ll understand. If not, well, give it time, young one, give it time.
That said, I am one of those rare creatures — like an albino deer or a two-headed turtle — that consistently earns over $100/month here.
Who knows. Hopefully, it’s because there are people who enjoy my writing. But perhaps it’s just a fluke.
So what do I write?
A little of (almost) everything. I write humor, history, fiction, poetry, and more.
I hope you’ll check out some of my work and give me a follow. I do appreciate every follower, every read, and every clap.
Stay safe. Be well.
What’s keeping me busy this month?
- I have a new humor piece that requires a custom illustration. I’ve been working with a talented artist and I’m very excited with what I’ve seen so far. I’m hoping the piece will run sometime around New Year’s.
- I have several pieces that are finished, but I haven’t published (or even pitched) them. I’m determined to clear the decks and get them out in the world.
- I read several books in November. I’d like to try my hand at book reviews, which is an area I haven’t dabbled in yet.
- I need to figure out my writing goals for 2021. What areas will I prioritize and what publications will I aim for?
- Christmas is almost here. COVID is still around. Like everyone else, I’m trying to stay sane.
There are three ways to get in touch with me:
- Leave a comment on any of my articles — including this one. I try my best to read them all and reply. But please — and this should go without saying — don’t be rude.
- Reach out to me via email. I’m at JLMatthewsWrites@gmail.com
- I’m on Twitter. Follow @JLMatthews5.
(Updated: 08 December 2020)
- Three More Dreadful Jobs In A Medieval Castle (History. My best performing non-curated piece.)
- The Train Yard (Micro-Fiction. This one grew out of a tricky writing prompt — write a story that incorporates numbers that add up to 50)
- I’m Jon Snow, And I’m Ready To Date Again (Humor. I love Jon Snow, but man, the guy is not good at romance)
(Updated: 08 December 2020)
- That Awkward Dinner After My Daughter Found Out Her Mother And I Are Swingers [SlackJaw, 28K]
- The Three Worst Jobs In A Medieval Castle [Exploring History, 12K]
- Three Terrifying Acts Forbidden In The US Constitution [Exploring History, 9.6K]
- Why You Shouldn’t Use, Gramerly (Satire) [SlackJaw, 8K]
- The Untold History of Glasses [Exploring History, 1K]
- Four Ways To Stop a Crazy President
- Three Famous Shipwrecks Not Named Titanic
- Three More Dreadful Jobs In a Medieval Castle
- The Political Execution of Maximilian I of Mexico
- The Political Execution of Louis XVI (my first Medium article)
- 5 Captivating Speeches Worth Revisiting
- We All Know How Important Money Is. But Who Invented It?
- The Forgotten Artist Behind The French Republican Calendar
- The Seldom-Seen Creative Hobbies of Historical Figures
- Filthy Rich Ancient Rulers Who Lost It All
- Five Shocking Truths About The Constitutional Convention
- 5 Pro Tips On How To Take Studio-Quality Dick Pics
- The Definitive Guide To Passive-Aggressive Political Yard Signs
- How Claps Explain Which of Your Readers Are Nerds, Tantric Clappers, or Just Overbearing Fathers
- The 7 Stages of Grief After Realizing Your Medium Profile Has Changed
- My 5-year-old Daughter’s Guide to Bugs
- I’m Jon Snow, and I’m Ready to Date Again
- Frodo’s Resume
- My New Blog Features Nothing But Side-Boob Pictures
- The Absence of Fear (Micro Fiction)
- The Polar Mystery (Flash/Sci-Fi)
- Without Women (Micro)
- The Preist-King’s Mercy (Flash/Fantasy)
- What Do You Know of Dragonblades? (Flash/Fantasy)
My aim is to update this page every few weeks.
I also have my own blog/publication here on Medium, Laughing Stock. If you enjoy my work, please check it out.