Armed police teams have been scrapped!
It’s time to celebrate this people-powered win.
Yesterday Police Commissioner Andy Coster announced that armed response teams have been scrapped! This is a huge win for people-power, peace, and our communities.
This decision is the direct result of realising our collective power and working together to use it for good.
Since the trial was announced nine months ago, together our community has;
➡️ Delivered a 10,000 strong petition to parliament opposing armed police in a powerful event that was broadcast on 1News.
➡️ Created a compelling piece of research that put Māori and Pasifika voices front and centre.
➡️ Launched the results ensuring they’d be seen, read, or heard by tens of thousands of New Zealanders in news stories.
➡️ Coordinated three powerful opinion pieces on why NZ needs to move away from the use of armed police.
➡️ Crowdfunded giant street posters by Māori Mermaid that show alternatives to armed policing are possible.
Yesterday’s decision is a direct result of people power. Share the great news of this moment now.
From our staff team at ActionStation, we want to give special thanks to our collaborators, allies, and friends in the campaign to end the use of armed police: Melissa Lama, Josiah Tualamali’i, Guled Mire, Julia Whaipooti, Tā Kim Workman, JustSpeak, Arms Down NZ, the Mental Health Foundation, and People Against Prisons Aotearoa.
Let’s take this moment to celebrate and reflect on what we have achieved by acting together. But this is just the beginning.
We have the power to imagine and articulate a world where we choose mental health-first responses over police with guns. What this decision has shown is that we also have the power to make it happen.
Right now let’s take this time to share the story of how effective we are when we work together. Then let’s keep working — today, tomorrow, and everyday that comes after — for a world of compassion and justice where everyone is safe and free.
- Police ending Armed Response Teams after trial — Commissioner. RNZ, 9 June 2020
- Police armed response teams scrapped. Stuff, 9 June 2020
- Petition with 10,000 signatures urges Government to stop armed police trial. 1News, 5 December 2019
- SURVEY RESULTS: Māori and Pasifika perspectives on armed police trial. ActionStation, 5 April 2020
- Most Māori and Pasifika don’t feel safe with police Armed Response Teams out and about — survey. Newshub, 5 April 2020
- Māori less likely to call 111 if they know police are armed — survey. RNZ, 6 April 2020
- You can watch the full interview where we launched the results here. The Hui, 5 April 2020
- For the sake of all minority communities, don’t bring armed response policing back. Anjum Rahman for The Spinoff, May 5 2020
- We don’t have to go down this path. Dr. Pounamu Jade Aikman for E-Tangata, 26 April 2020
- Yes, there is racism in our police. Here’s what we can do about it. Laura O’Connell Rapira for The Spinoff, 5 March 2020