Well, here we are six months later. A lot has happened in those months, but we just submitted our second packet! Now we wait for it to be reviewed before we schedule our next meeting with our caseworker.
Part of what made this second part of the home study so time-consuming was that we had to schedule and then go to many different appointments and follow up appointments. When you factor in our schedule and each location’s schedule, it made for a lengthy process. Also, let’s be honest, who really wants to get poked and prodded at the doctor's office.
Here’s a checklist for what we had to do for the second part of our home study. Many of it was just data gathering, so to help identify the differences I put an icon (🗓️) next to the ones that required us to schedule an appointment or us to wait on someone to get back to us.
- Provide proof of Citizenship/ Legal Status (birth certificates, marriage licenses, etc)
- Provide copies of drivers licenses and insurance
- Visit your doctor and get a physical 🗓️
- Get tested for Tuberculosis 🗓️
- Get tested for every drug imaginable 🗓️
- Vet Visit 🗓️
- Have your company verify your employment and Salary 🗓️
- Copy of Mortgage Statement
- Get 911 Records for all previous address over the past 5 years 🗓️
- Provide any criminal and or court cases you were involved in 🗓️
- Disclose who will take care of your child should you pass away
- Adoption Preparation Training — 10 hours 🗓️
- Family Letters of Support (A letter from each side of the family) 🗓️
- Recent Pictures of All Household Members
- Pictures of your house (outside and inside)
- Lastly, sign a ton of other disclosure forms
Once these are reviewed, we’ll have our second set of interviews, then move on to the next step!
We’ll keep you posted along the way!