Growing in Empathy
January 16, 2021, Newsletter Volume #3
Greetings, Readers and Writers,
Someone recently asked me (Aimée) for references on writing poetry. First of all, poetry is very subjective. My Bachelor’s and Master’s degree is each in English with a Creatives Studies emphasis in writing poetry, so I have quite a bit of training on the form. Honestly though, it has been almost fifteen years since I graduated from school and a lot of what I’ve learned I don’t remember in a concrete way. I write both from what I’ve internalized through education and from my own intuition. I believe I began studying poetry as soon as I began listening to the lyrics of The Beatles, Bruce Sprinsteen, John Denver, and The Eagles in my parents' living room.
That said, I’m going to give two tips for novice and experienced poets.
- Find poetry you like and read it. A lot.
- The Poetry Foundation is a fantastic, free website with a collection of well-known poems and education opportunities. I highly recommend it. Here’s one of my favorite poems by Beat poet Allen Ginsberg. You can read and listen to it here: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/47660/a-supermarket-in-california. This inspired a poem I wrote in response in graduate school and have since revise. You can read that here: https://medium.com/weeds-wildflowers/where-is-my-walt-whitman-at-the-grocery-7f7446a15abc. Incidentally, Weeds and Wildflowers may be a publication to which you’d also like to submit poetry.
Aimée has written another article which appears in Better Marketing to help writers understand our power and responsibility to readers. It’d be great if you’d give it a read. We are linking both of Aimée’s Better Marketing writing articles in the Age of Empathy “Style Guide” so you can have them readily available for reference.
- Did you know when you edit while another person is editing in your draft, the changes won’t save for one of you? If you notice a peer reviewer or editor is working on your draft, leave it be for a good thirty minutes. Then, check the notes. That saves everyone the time of re-writing notes.
- We request you use the three dot section dividers between each of your sections and use Title Case without punctuation for your subheadings. This keeps the aesthetic of articles appearing in Age of Empathy uniform.
Thank you for your attention to these matters.
The January writing prompt instructions for “What’s Your Spark?” are listed here.
We hope you have a fantastic week! Happy reading and writing. ❤
Highlights from this week include: You Are Powerful Beyond All Measure by Michelle Loucadoux, MBA, How I Became an Energy Healer by Ryan DeJonghe, Why You Should Consider Therapy by Christopher Robin, Don’t Let Your Emotional Burdens Get Too Heavy by Kasun Ranasinghe, and A True Love of Mine by Kristie Darling
Aimée, Shanna, and Bingz, Editorial Team
This Week’s Stories
Every writer appreciates the readers who enjoy their work. We strongly encourage you to snuggle up with a blanket, grab your favorite beverage, step outside on the veranda, and set some time aside to read the fantastic content of Age of Empathy. Clap, highlight, and comment. Support the hard work of AoE writers.
One From The Archives
January Prompt Response
Engagement Series Prompt Responses
Let’s Get Engaged! — Thanksgiving Edition by @Melissa Bee
Did you know?
Age of Empathy does not accept previously published submissions.
- Age of Empathy now has 575 readers
- More than 125 writers now contribute to our publication. ❤
- We are averaging 235 visitors per day to the Age of Empathy publication.
You make this little experiment in empathy work. Thank you for reading, writing, and engaging. We appreciate you.
Welcome aboard to these new Age of Empathy contributors: Noushy | Telling You Something | Asfia Aleem | Kasun Ranasinghe | Stacy Davenport | Christopher Robin | Eloosh | Melissa Speed | Okeke (Obiefuna) Chidinma
Please help continue spreading the word about AoE. We are proud of our empathetic, diverse, inspirational content. Let’s lift each other up.
Age of Empathy Contributors:
Kat Magik | Melissa Bee | Owais Ali | Shanna Loga | Em Unravelling | Raihana Rahman Nazifa | TanyaIv | Denise G | INFJ Elder | Anita Nahal | AJ Krow | Uma Bode | Connie Song | Alyssa Nicole Maaño | Galit Birk, PhD | Adriana Sim | Aeril Trinidad | Amy Cubbon | Evince Uhurebor | Lynne Nardizzi | Bingz Huang | Vaidehi Telkar | Anne Chisom | That’s Jacqueline | Halimah K. | Eunice Gikonyo, Msc Psychology | Katia Filatov | Anna da Silva | @G.Lodhia M. Edu | Ebrahim Haque Bhatti | Qalam | Salma Alaa | Sashawne Smith | shanu sadhwani | Kate Lynch | Paige Powell | Alice Toneatto | Tracy Luk | Carolyn Riker | Aamna I. Rizvi | Michael Whalen | Suntonu Bhadra | Roxana Anton | Veronica Skye | Ailsa Bristow | Roger Skibowski | Ana Ryan | Kylie Craft | Fareeha Arshad | Gayle Kurtzer-Meyers | Jezebel Feast | Mahmudul Islam | Maria Ines Montenegro | Anu Anniah | Pretheesh Presannan | Jonathan Isbill MS, RDN | Penofgold | Nicholas Freedman | Elan Cassandra | Caitlin Vestal | Dean Middleburgh | Emily Smith | Stella Brüggen | Tina L. Smith | Kristie Darling | Rachael Ann Sand | Fade Rudman | Michael Burg, MD | Michelle Loucadoux, MBA | Shabaira Junaid | Terry Mansfield | Amy Pierovich | Sarah Paris | Tom Kolodziej | Syed Zaidi | Steven E. Brown | Kristina Segarra | Ema Dumitru | Dr. Fatima Imam | Hogan Torah | Celeste Tsang | A.H. Faiz | Camilla Marando | Kim McKinney | Bernadette DeCarlo | Jenine Bsharah Baines | @jenniferlee | Tracy Stengel | Thomas O'Grady | Caroline Mellor | Dena@Write-Solutions | Lori Lamothe | Janet Pennington | Camille Grady | Life is Amazing with Books and Writers | Paul Ryburn | Brainy Queen | H. L. Warren | Tooth Truth Roopa Vikesh | Sabine Vekemans | Mia Verita | Evamarie Augustine | Smitha Tallapragada | Shagun Sharma | Kim Buchwald | Dr. Preeti Singh | Adil Jamal Haider | Melissa Coffey | Stephanie Thurrott | Rahul Anand | Johannes Mudi | Rochelle Silva | Carolyn Hastings | Matthew Prince | Divina Grey | Rachel Rogers | Fabiola Gallerani, Ph.D. | Samuel Sullivan | Quy Ma | Evelyn Marentette | Alice Floris | Daniel A. Teo | Lindsay Soberano-Wilson | JM Miana | Jill Kelley | Khalil Ahmad kakar | Remington Write | Regina Clarke | Ana Writes | Kiran Kumbhar | Elaine Mead | Zed Bee | Kevin Ervin Kelley, AIA | Toya Qualls-Barnette | Nia Simone McLeod | Meghann McNiff | Jeffrey Keefer, Ph.D. | Yohanan Marcus | Ryan DeJonghe LS | John Walter 📣 | Bertilla Niveda | David Todd McCarty | Charles Amemiya | Patty Latham | Elle How | Sara Becker | Trevor Woods | Kevin Jahleel Ishimwe | Prerna M | Dawn Bevier