To apply, please send your resume to email@example.com.
AI4ALL is a new non-profit with the mission of bringing diversity of thought and voices to the field of AI. The impact of AI on society is one of the more important questions facing humanity and we hope to drive the agenda that emphasizes AI’s potential to solve an incredibly diverse set of important societal problems. The founding activity at AI4ALL is launching educational programs which deliver a humanistic AI curriculum directly to high school students from populations currently underrepresented in AI: women, racial minorities, and students from low socioeconomic backgrounds.
About the Position
We are seeking a dynamic and ambitious individual to develop and manage the educational curriculum and academic programming that helps drive the success of the organization. You will have the opportunity to:
- Provide critical educational programming to impact the lives of next generation thought and technology leaders of AI
- Interact with the premier educational institutions (e.g. Stanford, Princeton, UC Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon University) and their faculty to help usher change.
- Work in partnership with the founders and the board to design and implement a rigorous humanistic-focused AI curriculum.
- Inspire change in AI education by designing and executing a research agenda to scientifically evaluate the impact of a humanistic-focused AI curriculum
- Interact with leaders of the technology world, the media world, and the philanthropy world to make positive changes in the perception of AI
- Have a significant impact in the field of AI, one of the driving forces that will shape the future of our world
The Education Director is responsible for overseeing the curriculum and academic programming for AI4LL. This includes developing humanistic educational programs for high school students offered at top tier universities; creating and sustaining continuous AI education of the alumni; and conducting scientific research and publishing results on the effectiveness of this education.
The Education Director is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
The Education Director reports to the Executive Director.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Scale an existing educational program at Stanford University (the Stanford AI Lab Outreach Summer Program, http://sailors.stanford.edu) to other universities, ensuring that we are reaching students from multiple underrepresented minority groups in the field of AI.
- Build out a humanistic AI curriculum for these programs in collaboration with the faculty at the universities.
- Oversee continuous humanistic education of AI4ALL alumni through the local chapters.
- Create a research mentoring program for AI4ALL alumni; match at least 5 alumni with research internships in university labs.
- Design and execute an evaluation program that measures the impact of these education programs in achieving our mission.
- Design and conduct education research by leveraging on the programs and data from AI4ALL activities, aiming to publish in top-tier STEM education and related journals.
- Travel (up to 15% of the time) and/or evening, weekend work, sporadic as needed to complete assignments, frequently while traveling.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in education or technology field. A PhD is a big plus.
- No formal training in AI and Computer Science is required but it is a big plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to self-manage projects and take ownership of projects
- A passion for bringing diversity to AI
- Ability to create high quality curriculum
- Ability to design and conduct quantitative research projects
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Good relationship management skills
- Ability to interface and engage with partner university staff
- Ability to drive from 1–3 hours for meetings, using your own car
- Must be able to legally work in the United States.
The Education Director will interact most frequently with partner universities, the Executive Director, and the Project Advisory Board.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Regularly required, in an 8-hour day, to sit for 5–8 hours; stand/walk/move around for 1–4 hours;
- Regularly required to talk and hear
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls
- Lifting 20 pounds occasionally
- Occasionally required to use public transportation, bus, train, airplane, etc.
- Regularly using standard office equipment with moving mechanical parts.
The office for AI4ALL will be in the Bay Area (Palo Alto, CA). And the Education Director is expected to work the majority of the time from this office. The noise level in the office could be low to moderate. The employee’s work is most frequently indoors, but occasionally requires going outdoors in the weather to pass from building to building and drive from site to site. While on travel employee will primarily work from partner offices or hotel rooms.
AI4ALL, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
To apply, submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org