Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
AI4ALL is a new non-profit with the mission of bringing diversity and inclusion to artificial intelligence development, research, education and policy. The impact of AI on society is one of the more important questions facing humanity and we hope to drive the agenda that emphasizes AI’s potential to solve an incredibly diverse set of important societal problems. The founding activity at AI4ALL is launching educational programs that deliver a humanistic AI curriculum directly to high school students from populations currently underrepresented in AI: women, racial minorities, and students from low socioeconomic backgrounds; and supporting these students along their education and career pathways.
About the Position
We are seeking a dynamic and ambitious individual to develop and manage the educational curriculum and academic programming that helps drive the success of the organization. You will have the opportunity to:
- Provide critical educational programming to impact the lives of next generation thought and technology leaders of AI.
- Interact with the premier educational institutions (e.g. Stanford, Princeton, UC Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon University) and their faculty to help usher change.
- Work in partnership with the team and board to design and implement a rigorous humanistic-focused AI curriculum.
- Inspire change in AI education by designing and executing a research agenda to scientifically evaluate the impact of a humanistic-focused AI curriculum.
- Interact with leaders of the technology world, the media world and philanthropy world to make positive changes in the perception of AI.
- Have a significant impact in the field of AI, one of the driving forces that will shape the future of our world.
The Education Director is responsible for overseeing the curriculum and academic programming for AI4ALL. This includes developing and managing programs for high school students; creating and sustaining continuous AI education of the alumni; and conducting research and publishing results on the effectiveness of this education.
The Education Director is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Scale an existing educational program at Stanford University (the Stanford AI Lab Outreach Summer Program, http://sailors.stanford.edu) to other universities, ensuring that we are serving students from multiple underrepresented minority groups in the field of AI.
- Build out a humanistic AI curriculum for these programs in collaboration with the faculty at the universities.
- Oversee opportunities for continuing education for AI4ALL alumni through the local chapters.
- Create a project-based mentoring program for AI4ALL alumni to support their long term success in school and career.
- Design and execute an evaluation program that measures the impact of these education programs in achieving our mission.
- Design and conduct education research by leveraging on the programs and data from AI4ALL activities, aiming to publish in top-tier STEM education and related journals.
- Travel (up to 15% of the time) and/or evening, weekend work, sporadic as needed to complete assignments, frequent, while on travel.
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in education or technology field preferred.
- No formal training in AI and Computer Science is required, but it is a big plus.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to manage and take ownership of programs and projects
- A passion for our mission of diversity and inclusion in AI
- High level of cultural competency and experience working with students from diverse backgrounds
- Expertise developing high-quality curriculum preferably in STEM-related subjects
- Ability to design and conduct quantitative research projects
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good relationship management skills
- Comfortable working in a startup environment with a high level of self-efficacy and accountability
- Ability to interface and engage with partner university staff
- Ability to drive from 1–3 hours for meetings, using your own car
- Must be able to legally work in the United States.
The Education Director will interact most frequently with partner universities, the Executive Director, staff and the Board.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Regularly required, in an 8-hour day, to sit for 5–8 hours; stand/walk/move around for 1–4 hours;
- Regularly required to talk and hear
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls
- Lifting 20 pounds occasionally
- Occasionally required to use public transportation, bus, train, airplane, etc.
- Regularly using standard office equipment with moving mechanical parts.
The office for AI4ALL will be in the Bay Area (San Francisco, CA), and the Education Director is expected to work the majority of the time from this office. The noise level in the office could be low to moderate. The employee’s work is most frequently indoors, but occasionally requires going outdoors in the weather to pass from building to building and drive from site to site. While on travel employee will primarily work from partner offices or hotel rooms.
AI4ALL, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
To apply, submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.