To apply, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AI4ALL is a new non-profit with the mission of bringing diversity of thought and voices to the field of Artificial Intelligence using a humanistic approach. The impact of Artificial Intelligence (AI) on society is one of the more important questions facing humanity and we hope to drive the agenda that emphasizes AI’s potential to solve an incredibly diverse set of important societal problems.
About the Position
We are seeking a dynamic and ambitious individual to own the success of the organization. You will have the opportunity to:
- Provide inspirational leadership to impact the lives of next generations of students who have an opportunity to become thought and technology leaders of AI
- Have a significant impact in the field of AI, one of the driving forces that will shape the future of our world
- Collaborate with premier educational institutions (Stanford University, Princeton University, UC Berkeley, Carnegie Mellon University) and their faculty to help usher change
- Interact with leaders of the technology world, the media world, and philanthropy world to make positive changes in the education and perception of AI
- Work in partnership with the founders and the board to refine and implement the strategic plan while ensuring that the budget, staff, and priorities are aligned
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs and strategic plan of AI4ALL. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach, as well as supervising the Educational Director in charge of curriculum and academic programming.
The Executive Director is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
The Executive Director will report to Tides Board of Directors and Project Advisory Board.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Fundraise for AI4ALL, which will include maintaining long-term relationships with sponsors and advisors, sending them progress reports and seeking out new funding opportunities
- Build out and manage a high performing team focused on achieving the mission of the organization.
- Support the educational programs at the partner institutions. This could include unifying the marketing efforts, creating a system for resolving admission conflicts (and eventually unifying admissions), overseeing the grant payments, etc.
- Create and manage an alumni support system that promotes our alumni staying in tech and the field of artificial intelligence. This will include but not be limited to establishing local communities, mentorship programs (both internal among alumni and external with AI technologists) and research/internship/enrichment opportunities.
- Spearhead the community outreach efforts leveraging our alumni network
- Create and maintain industry outreach which may include organizing humanistic AI-focused workshops in industry, maintaining long-term relationships with industry leaders, collecting industry diversity data
- Work closely with the board on shaping AI4ALL
- Serve as primary liaison with organization’s fiscal sponsor, managing the relationship and following the required processes
- Travel (up to 15% of the time) and/or evening, weekend work, sporadic as needed to complete assignments and frequently while traveling
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with hiring of additional staff
- Manage the work performed by contractors
Education and Experience
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in education or technology field
- 5–10 years of experience working in non-profits or industry. Experience in working with academic institutions is a plus
- Fundraising and leadership experience, minimum 2 years
- No formal training in AI and CS is required. But it is a big plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proven ability to set and achieve “stretch” goals
- A passion for bringing diversity to AI
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal. A persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Ability to convey a vision of AI4ALL’s strategic future to staff, volunteers and donors
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives
- Solid, hands-on budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making and reporting
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Drive 1–3 hours for meetings, using your own car
- Must be able to legally work in the United States.
The Executive Director will interact most frequently with AI4ALL staff, donors, educational and industrial partners.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is:
- Regularly required, in an 8-hour day, to sit for 5–8 hours; stand/walk/move around for 1–4 hours;
- Regularly required to talk and hear
- Regularly required to use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls
- Lifting 20 pounds occasionally
- Occasionally required to use public transportation, bus, train, airplane, etc.
- Regularly using standard office equipment with moving mechanical parts.
The office for AI4ALL will be in the Bay Area (Palo Alto, CA). And the Executive Director is expected to work the majority of the time from this office.
The noise level in the office could be low to moderate. The employee’s work is most frequently indoors, but occasionally requires going outdoors in the weather to pass from building to building and drive from site to site. While on travel employee will primarily work from partner offices or hotel rooms.
AI4ALL, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
To apply, submit your resume to email@example.com