By Ademola Ayangbile
Alert Officer for Agege LGA
Waste management is the collection, keeping, treating and disposal of waste.
In every metropolitan city around the world, proper waste management has always been a subject of concern, so is the case of Agege Local Government. Congested areas like Pen Cinema, Oja, Otubu, Stadium, are few examples of areas with the lack of a proper waste management system.
Following a series of surveys, the followings are the highlighted reasons hindering smooth waste disposal;
1. Waste Generation: If wastes are not segregated at the source, it leads to a high cost of waste segregation. So, it’s important to avoid mixing up wastes at the source and this can be achieved by educating people on how to segregate their wastes before collection.
2. Waste Transportation: The second biggest cost incurring factor is the waste transportation. Here, it depends on what kind of trucks are been used. The kind of trucks determines how easy the loading/unloading process will go.
3. Waste Processing: The present waste and recycling industries lack efficient waste management processes. They are characterized by the use of outdated models and are not equipped enough to deal with the ever growing demands of waste management solutions in Lagos State.
4. Governance: Poor financial budget allocation and inappropriate spending are factors that affect smooth running of an efficient waste management system.
5. Some other challenges include; Irregular operation of the Lagos State Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), the superior body in charge of waste management in Lagos State. This is the obvious reason why Lagos is tagged a dirty state because wastes are not promptly cleared in markets and surroundings.
In conclusion, improper waste disposal is a menace to the society at large and it must be handle with great care. Most importantly, to avoid disease outbreaks caused by neglect.
To read other updates from Agege LGA or your LGA, visit app.alertclinic.com
Download the Alert Clinic Mobile Application on your android device.