The Public Domain Review and Medium are hosting a Mad Hatter’s mashup party in celebration of the 150th anniversary of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland this month. We’re starting today and continuing for as long as anyone wants to join in.
The Public Domain Review has invited a dozen Lewis Carroll experts to annotate a special version of the story with lots of fun trivia and facts about the book and its author. You’ll find their comments in the margin notes. We’ll be publishing two new annotated chapters here each week for the next six weeks.
You’re also invited to make your own personal digital edition of Alice on Medium.
Once you have a Medium account, just copy the text of the story to a new post that you’ve created, and pick images from free-to-use image collections that we’ve provided on Medium especially for this event below — or create your own, then add them to the story however you like. If you want to share your original art works with others, choose a Creative Commons license after you hit the publish button.
Medium has commissioned remixes of some of the most famous Alice illustrations, which you are also free to use. Make and share your own remixes of the original Tenniel and Rackham illustrations, and we’ll add them to our 12 master chapters alongside the annotations.
Make sure to tag your book “Alice in Wonderland” and “Mad Hatters Mashup Party” so others can discover it!
All images below are by Sir John Tenniel from the 1865 edition, via Wikimedia Commons.
Index of Illustrations
- King and Queen of Hearts | High res
- White Rabbit checks watch | High res
- Alice finds tiny door | High res
- “Drink Me” | High res
- Alice stretched tall | High res
- Giant Alice watches rabbit run away | High res
- Alice in pool of tears | High res
- Alice with Mouse in pool of tears | High res
- Dodo presenting thimble | High res
- Mouse tells a story | High res
- Alice cramped in Rabbit’s house | High res
- Alice’s hand grabs at Rabbit | High res
- “There goes Bill!” | High res
- Dog looks at tiny Alice | High res
- Alice meets the Caterpillar | High res
- Father William stands on head | High res
- Father William somersaults in the door | High res
- Father William having eaten the goose |High res
- Father William balances eel on nose | High res
- Fish and Frog servants | High res
- Cook, Duchess, Cheshire Cat, Baby and Alice | High res
- Alice and the pig baby | High res
- Alice speaks to the Cheshire Cat | High res
- Cheshire Cat fading to smile | High res
- Mad Tea Party | High res
- Hatter engaging in rhetoric | High res
- Hatter and Hare dunking Dormouse | High res
- Two, Five and Seven painting the rosebush | High res
- “OFF WITH HER HEAD!” | High res
- Alice plays croquet with flamingo and hedge hog | High res
- Executioner argues with King | High res
- Alice (with flamingo) chats with the Duchess | High res
- Gryphon asleep | High res
- Mock Turtle and Gryphon sing to Alice | High res
- Mock Turtle and Lobster demonstrate the Lobster Quadrille | High res
- Lobster primps before a mirror | High res
- White Rabbit, dressed as herald, blows trumpet | High res
- Mad Hatter arrives hastily in court to testify | High res
- … and just as hastily leaves | High res
- Giant Alice upsets the jury | High res
- King reflects in court | High res
- “You’re nothing but a pack of cards!” | High res