Kotlin Series Chapter 1 — Introduction
Introduction: As we all know that kotlin Announced an official language to develop android applications during Google I/O 2017.This means that, while it’s still possible to develop Android Apps using Java, from now on Kotlin is fully supported and Google will make sure that all new Android features,the framework,the IDE and all their libraries work seamlessly with the new language.
What is Kotlin? Kotlin is a JVM based language developed by JetBrains5, a company known for creating IntelliJ IDEA, a powerful IDE for Java development. Android Studio, the official Android IDE, is based on IntelliJ.
Advantages in Kotlin compared to Java 6?
- It’s more expressive: This is the most important qualities, you can write more with less code.
- It’s Safer: Kotlin is a null safe.
- It’s Functional: Kotlin is basically an object oriented language, not a pure functional language.
- It makes use of extension functions: This means we can extend any class with new features even if we don’t have access to the source code.
- It’s highly interoperable: You can continue using most libraries and code written in Java, because the interoperability between both languages is excellent.