Cannabidiol is a chemical compound from cannabis plants that has a lot of properties. And one of the CBD benefits is to relieve pain. Below, we explore how it acts and what pros and cons offers.
CBD, unlike other cannabis compounds, doesn’t provoke any psychoactive effect. It’s because cannabidiol influences other receptors in the human body and has another impact mechanism on the human body. So, people with chronic pain can take CBD to relieve symptoms like inflammation, general pain, and discomfort, related to diverse conditions. Since cannabidiol may be a more effective drug than pharmaceutical medicines, some people replace the usual medicaments by it.
Is CBD a real painkiller?
CBD represents an alternative method to treat people who want to take medications without any addiction and strong side effects. Researchers relate cannabidiol to receptors in the brain and the immune system. Numerous studies have noted that CBD has painkiller and anti-inflammatory effects.
CBD and its compounds work to relieve chronic pain. The review looked through studies, carried between 1975 and 2018. These researches examined various types of pain, including:
- neuropathic pain
Specialists concluded that CBD is an effective painkiller and doesn’t cause any adverse side effects. Even if CBD performs like opioids — substances that act on opioid receptors to produce morphine-like effects by blocking pain at the neurological level — it simultaneously helps whole-body homeostasis by diminishing inflammation and relaxing muscles at the site of injury.
Painkillers affect the brain to produce a variety of effects and can ease the pain. They can be divided into the following groups:
- Non-opioid painkillers
- Anti-inflammatory drugs
- Compound painkillers
- Opioid painkillers
Opioids can be used to relieve pain when other painkillers don’t work, and pain is considered ‘severe’:
- it interferes with your daily life
- you have to take frequent rests
- you move awkwardly
However, opioids are often considered narcotics. Although they do relieve pain, they do not fall into the same category of medicines such as aspirin and Tylenol.
Taking opioids doesn’t come without effects. Regular use of these drugs can raise your dependence and lead to the demand for higher doses. Also, opioids can restrict your ability to breathe when taking a higher amount of the substance. The risk of respiratory depression increases if you mix it with other medications or have never taken an opioid before. So, you should take opioids in case you don’t have any alternatives.
Up to 20% of Americans with chronic pain switch to cannabis extracts prescription medication. CBD has a much more powerful effect. Cannabidiol works seamlessly with your body. It knows how to make you healthier together with your immune system. Using CBD daily is quite the same when you take the usual medicaments.
But you should understand that CBD also has mild side effects for some people. We recommend starting with a small dosage (5–10mg), trying different ingestion methods. You should also combine therapy with various activities like yoga, walking or swimming. Any activity will help your body circulate useful compounds more effectively. CBD is also phenomenal for recovery after training because it naturally eases pain in muscles, ligaments, and joints.
What benefits does CBD oil have?
CBD oil is an extract from a hemp strain for topicals with numerous nutritional benefits. The main property of CBD oil is to obtain a highly concentrated product. The texture of the extracted substance depends on the production technology used. CBD oil is usually removed from the whole cannabis plant or its aerial parts. Another property of cannabidiol is the ability to be dissolved in both alcohol and water.
People actively use CBD oil, due to the following benefits:
- CBD oil relieves pain. The endocannabinoid system in the human body is responsible for pain modulation. CBD is useful for reducing chronic pain related to arthritis illnesses, cancer, and multiple sclerosis.
- Cannabidiol helps to reduce depression. Depression belongs to mental disorders that affect our health condition. CBD oil is a perfect alternative for fighting with depression. Those patients, who suffer from depression, get more interested in this CBD oil.
CBD oil is an effective substance in treating children’s insomnia. Due to some trials on animals, CBD has shown antidepressant action. Such properties related to the oil’s ability to provide an impact on the brain’s neurotransmitters that maintain our mood and behavior.
- CBD oil fights with anxiety. There are effective medicines for treating this condition, but they can cause numerous unpleasant side effects. Therefore, alternative treatments are much appreciated. Cannabis has already been an effective substance in fighting with anxiety. Though it’s officially illegal, we can use CBD in natural medicine.
- CBD can ease cancer symptoms. The CBD oil may diminish symptoms, related to malignant tumors. Such symptoms are mostly caused by chemotherapy and include pain, vomiting, and the queasiness in the stomach. There are links, showing that CBD can kill cancer cells.
- CBD treats epilepsy. In 2018, the FDA approved one of the CBD-based drugs, intended for the treatment of epilepsy in children. It’s because of the availability of convincing scientific evidence about the effectiveness of the compound for this age category. More than 500 patients took part in the clinical experiments that showed the CBD extract power. Adult patients also participated in some expertise, but the evidence base for children was more extensive.
- CBD combats with acne. Acne is a modern scourge, especially among the younger generation. The nutrition is usually a reason for it. The population suffers from skin conditions a lot. Cannabidiol exerts a positive anti-inflammatory effect. It prevents an acne-associated agent’s activation. It is a safe and robust method to deal with the problem.
CBD is a natural product that improves our health. Moreover, CBD oil is not a narcotic drug.
CBD and its Side Effects
The most common side effects of CBD are the following:
- Loss of Appetite
- Changes in body weight
Some patients who use CBD reported to have:
- Drying of the mouth
- Change in mood
Let’s be more specific:
- Lightheadedness or dizziness. High doses of CBD lower blood pressure. If your blood pressure falls too much, you can faint.
- Drowsiness and Fatigue. This side effect has been observed in early clinical trials. If the symptoms are present, you shouldn’t operate heavy machinery or drive a car when taking the substance.
CBD influences sleep biphasic: high doses may increase sleeping time, lower amounts may conduce wakefulness.
- Digestive Problems. Preliminary research suggests that CBD improves digestive functions. Side effects most likely occur due to the exposure of other components in the intestines. The additives regulate excessive levels of CBD extracts in products or contaminants like solvents, pesticides, and heavy metals.
Scientists admitted that during some tests, people experienced common side effects like changes in weight, appetite or diarrhea when taking CBD. However, within the time, they concluded that CBD has the best side effects profile.
- Dry mouth. Almost 12% of 1500 people, responding to the CBD oil research answer that they usually feel dry mouth when taking cannabidiol. CB1 and CB2 stimulation receptors in the salivary glands reduce saliva secretion, which makes the mouth feel dry.
- Change in the mood. CBD is often used to curb anxiety, although scientists noted that it has “inverted U-shaped” effects: regular doses may be useful for some disorders and stressful situations. In contrast, very high doses may cause irritability and anxiety.
CBD changes the level of two drug transporters in placental cells. Taking CBD oil during pregnancy may raise the fetus’s exposure to any drugs that the mother takes. We think pregnant women should avoid cannabidiol products.
CBD is safe for older children, but they may be more sensitive to toxic contaminants such as pesticides and heavy metals in comparison with adults. Therefore, they should use CBD products of high-quality.
CBD is a modern natural painkiller. It doesn’t cause any psychoactive conditions. And, of course, cannabidiol is not a drug; however, it may relieve different kinds of pain. You may ease symptoms of such diseases like cancer or epilepsy with the help of CBD. Also, note that it doesn’t have any hard side effects. So, taking CBD, you get a range of benefits and avoid drawbacks of more traditional drugs.