A Manifesto For Creative People
How to create something great.
1. Try. Don’t be afraid to go after your dreams.
2. Try again.
3. Stick with it. Don’t quit.
5. Be original. Be unique.
6. Learn from the masters.
7. Get to know your peers. There’s power in community.
8. Break rules.
9. Embrace, empower, and appreciate every one of your supporters.
10. Always be creating.
11. Make it fun. But don’t forget it’s work.
12. Be patient.
13. Don’t be afraid to fail.
14. Don’t be afraid to succeed.
15. Don’t steal other people’s ideas.
16. Don’t be paranoid about other people stealing your ideas.
17. Your short term goal is to get better.
18. Your long term goal is to get better.
19. Recognize it’s not enough to just be good.
20. Create ways for people who share your view of the world to participate in your work.
21. Don’t worry about the people that don’t get you. They don’t matter.
22. Define your own success.
23. Have something to say.
24. Don’t get jealous of others’ success. What they do has nothing to do with what you do.
25. Create your own opportunities.
26. Control your own career.
27. Listen to the conventional wisdom. But don’t always follow it.
28. Create things that create value for others.
29. Be talented. Be lucky. Be persistent. And not necessarily in that order.
30. No matter how big your industry is, it’s small. Don’t burn bridges.
31. Don’t fool yourself into thinking you’re better than you are by only doing what you already know you can do.
33. Do something entrepreneurial at some point — it will help you get better.
34. Understand your strengths and seek opportunities to exploit them.
35. Brace yourself for the inevitable frustrations and disappointments.
36. Don’t become a jerk when you succeed.
38. Recognize you compete with everybody in the world. But remember you have an advantage because none of them are you.
39. Be honest. Be open. Be real.
40. Have fun!
Want more ideas like this?
Join the 25,000+ creative people who get my For The Interested newsletter.
It’s a weekly collection of 10 ideas to help you learn, do, and become better at your work, art, and life.
Click below to get free access to the next issue: