Google just terminated our start-up Google Play Publisher Account on Christmas day
An open letter from an Android developer to the Android Community and specially to Purnima Kochikar, director of Google Play, Apps & Games at Google.
(Translations of this Open Letter: Russian, (Spanish coming soon))
TL;DR; Who watches the watchmen at Google Play?
- December 24th. Received Google Play account termination email. It mentions it is due to prior violations of “associated accounts” outlined in previous emails.
- Never received any communication prior the termination regarding any infringement not solved or previous emails regarding to an “associated account”.
- December 24th. I appealed for human assistance by suggested text form because Google Play lacks of a proper Developer Customer service by phone or assigned account manager.
- December 25th. I received 24 hours exactly after the termination communication an email telling me that my appeal has been rejected. (Most probably rejected by a bot)
- Result: A ten years long Android career and a successful start-up killed for Christmas.
I have been developing Android apps for nearly 10 years and I have personally lived the evolution of the whole Android ecosystem, since Android 1.5 to Android 9.0, from “Android Market” to “Google Play”.
I started developing apps as a hobby, later on I joined a major company as developer and finally 4 years ago I decided to follow my own path and co-founded a start-up with a colleague. Android has given me all, a career path, economic independence and best of all, the privilege of making a living doing what I would do just for fun.
While it is undeniable that Google Play has flourished to become the greatest App, Games and Media distribution platform of all times and has devoted all the effort to provide the best experience to more than 2 billion users, it has failed in one simple and plain key point:
Developer customer support
Two other key services provided by Google for Android developers are Admob and Google Ads. If I have a problem with Google Ads, I can just make a phone call and have direct customer support. If I encounter any problem with Admob I can even meet in person with my local Admob Account manager, which is great.
But If I have a problem as a developer at Google Play I can just get a text form and template answers.
We count with all kind of tools in our developer console to publish, monetize, track, monitor, get user feedback, etc… but we cannot just simply get a proper “human” support when an issue arises.
And I can tell you that issues arise more often that we could expect, if you are lucky it’s just an app suspension that can be fixed with an app update but others is an app removal and you must to republish your app. It can be even worse, one day you can receive an email that notifies you about your “Google Play Publisher account termination”.
An image is worth a thousand words
My “personal publisher account”, was terminated last August 1th. I probably will never know why. It was mostly abandoned, I had just a few old apps just for testing features or make experiments. It was not really important for me nor my start-up but I felt very worried and thought that this had to be a mistake done by an automated process or bot, a false positive… so I looked at this line with confidence, this mistake was going to be fixed for sure:
If you feel this termination may have been in error, please reach out to our policy support team
“Reaching the support team” consists in filling a text field with a 1000 chars limit which is referred as an “Appeal for reinstatement”.
A couple of days later I got an email that confirmed the account termination with this answer:
I couldn’t understand anything, “Multiple violations… by an associated Google Play developer account” ? So I answered back requesting more info.
But the effort was futile, I later discovered searching at Google that this has happened to many other developers and I was just getting the same canned responses.
I tried to get help from other channels like @GooglePlayDev but they just directed me to the same “appeal text form”.
The first email was clear at one point, I can’t publish anymore Android apps in Google Play by myself.
Do not attempt to register a new developer account. Any new accounts will be closed and your developer registration fee will not be refunded. We recommend that you use an alternative method for distributing your apps in the future.
I felt terribly sad, disappointed and angry at the same time. How can Google let this happen? How can such a critical action be taken without any prior communication? Who are “Taylor” and “Sam”, the signers of the replies I got?. Are they actual humans? are they bots? Are they accountable for their decisions? Do they minimally understand what involves developing and publishing an app? Who watches them?
Nobody is safe now
Despite this I thought that I had been in the past smart enough (3 years before all this happened) to open an independent Gmail account to isolate all my start-up services, accounting, work and apps from my personal stuff. And that the team would be able to continue developing apps and publishing them on the start-up Google Play account with ease.
I thought I was right until last December 24th I wake up with the long dreaded email awaiting in our start-up Gmail’s inbox. 5 months later we were receiving at GreenLionSoft the same “Account Termination” email template.
Of course, I appealed and in exactly 24h I got the expected account termination reply, what a Christmas present…
This completely ruined my Christmas holidays with my family.
This time the account termination has overwhelming implications. We at GreenLionSoft had 18 published apps, with more than 1 Million downloads and 300k monthly active users. We were a successful company employing 5 people (2 direct employees and up to 3 freelancers) and expected to continue growing in 2019 and increasing further our portfolio of apps.
- We have lost everything we have been able to build in the past 4 years, downloads, reputation, store position, etc…
- Our users won’t be able to get future updates and they won’t know what has happened.
- Our only source of income that are ads and in-app purchases will eventually run down.
- We will have probably to close our start-up in the next few weeks/months so my colleague and me will lose our current jobs and the freelancers will miss the workload they were expecting to have.
Why is this happening?
This is is happening because we, the publishers (developers), are just a drop of water in the ocean compared with the amount of Google Play customers. The actual business for Google Play are them, not us.
To ensure quality, safety of apps, and the user experience for their billions of customers, Google Play is probably scanning apps looking for malicious behaviour, sdk’s or broken policies in an automated fashion. And this is not bad.
They probably have a team of “watchmen” reviewing apps and the automatic reports generated by their internal tools. And again this is not bad.
What is bad is how it is being handled, what is terribly bad is using automatic responses and templates for customer support. Who is deciding that an account has to be terminated? Under which circumstances? Is it actually somebody terminating accounts on Christmas eve? and answering appeals on Christmas? Do they never commit mistakes? Who watches the “watchmen” are doing their work properly?
A final plea
Dear Android devs, always remember that Google Play may terminate your dev account at any time, without prior notice, without any explanation and you may have to close your company and seek for a new job tomorrow. This is how it works right now.
I believe that we as developers deserve transparency and a proper communication channel to solve this kind of issues, just terminating years of work without any ‘human’ interaction nor explanation makes us feel totally defenseless.
It’s also our responsibility as community to give visibility to this problem, otherwise the problem virtually doesn’t exist for the people that have the power to fix it.
If you happen to be a Google employee, please escalate this issue, share it among your internal channels, do whatever is in your hands to improve the Google Play platforms for us, the developers.
Dear Purnima Kochikar, please let me have the nerve to say that something is broken at Google Play from the developer perspective and nobody seems to be able to help us.
It is your call to take an action on this, to fix processes and customer support, to avoid Google Play ruining developer careers or companies, to stop people losing jobs in the worst of situations. Is in your hands to recover the developer community trust on Google Play, we are willing to help and collaborate.
On January 15th, after a deep review of our apps, our company and personal developer history, our company account has been reinstantiated. (My personal account is kept terminated)
What we have learned is that our company account hadn’t committed any violation, it was terminated due being “associated” to my personal account. My personal account hadn’t committed any violation either, it was terminated due being “associated” to a colleague account. This colleague account was terminated due “Intellectual Property and Trademark Violation”. My colleague still thinks his account termination was wrong but he appealed and got no support as thousands of developers out there.
The response of the Android Community has been overwhelming, I would like to thank all of you, once again, for your support. #AndroidDev
Anyway I think the contents of the Open Letter are still completely valid, we as developers deserve a proper communication channel with Google Play to solve this kind of issues, I think we are open to pay an annual fee or have longer app reviews before our apps are published if that helps to have a safer ecosystem for both Developers and Google Play users.
If you happen to be in the same situation, please build a solid case with evidences and contact the “Google Dev Relations” person in charge of your country or area to get actual human help.
Also subscribing this open letter:
- David Martín de Castro: Android Dev @ BEEVA (BBVA Group)
- Miguel Villacorta: Program Manager @ Telefónica
- Antonio Leiva: Android Dev, Kotlin Expert & Writer
- Chelu Martín: Head of Tech Lab @ IE Business School
- Débora Gómez: Technical Lead @ myToys
- Álvaro Abella: Architect @ /Bluetab
- Arturo Naredo: CTO @ Glownet
- Jesús Díaz: Android Lead @ Glownet
- Raúl Martínez: CTO @ EthicHub
- José Orozco: Android Dev @ eDreams
- Sergio Casero: Android Lead @ Worldline SL
- Cristina S. Barreiro: Mobile DevMobile @ Situm
- Jaime GC: Android Dev @ Icinetic
- Pablo López: Android Dev @ Wallbox
- Arturo Gutierrez: Android Engineer @ 47 Degrees
- Srikar Reddy: Senior Android Engineer @ Blogger
- Paresh Mayani: Founder/Organizer @ GDGAhmedabad
- Diego Barreiro: Cofounder & CTO @ Kodular
- Ricardo Belchior: Android Engineer @ Reach plc
- Mihai-Gerardo Paolucci: Android Dev @ Lohigno Design
- Jaakko Kärkölä: CEO @ Creli Group Ltd.
- Silviu Stroe: Co-Founder & CTO at DevRevolution
- Neal Sanche: Android Developer @Robots and Pencils
- Steve Macdonald: Senior Mobile Architect @ T4G Ltd.
- Gil Bahat: Former DevOps engineer @ Magisto
- Luis CAD: Android Developer
- Aishvarya Jaiswal: CTO @ AdverScribe
- Oussama Raboija: Software engineer @ EMSI
- Kerem Kusmezer: Android Developer @ Security Cyborg
- Hammad Asif: CEO @ Notroxis
- David Martín: Kotlin Engineer @ myToys.
- Cihan Kaloğlu: Android Developer @ Freelance
- Kai: Android Dev @ Aoxer
- Shinil M S: Android Dev @ Nimo Planet
- Erkmen Esen: Lead Developer @ Akademetre
- Mehdi Sakout: Senior Android Engineer @ Elbotola Media
- Alexander Kucherenko: CEO & Lead Android developer @ nordlichter
- Mukesh Naraniya: CEO @ bevy_me
- Akhil: Android Developer @ Big Brothers Teamgma
- Javier Campos: Professor of Computer Science @ University of Zaragoza
- Thomas C. Gerlach: Chief Engineer @ Talixa Software & Service, LLC
- Mohammed Raees: Android Designer @ Rooloo Designs
- Jitesh Suvarna: Android Developer @ ShaadiTech
- Wingy Ng: System Analyst & Android developer @ Green Tomato Limited
- Brook Mezgebu: Android Freelancer @ brookmezgebu
- Alex Catchpole: Software Engineer @ Langley Foxall
- Lev Nazarov: Lead Developer @ Involta
- Pablo Sáez: Lead Mobile Developer @ Mobincube
- Francesco Ronchi: CEO-Founder @ synesthesiait
- Yuri Komlev: Lead Mobile Architect @ 3AE-Bali
- Ahmet Aygün: Chef Engineer @ Biges
- Yildiray Yilmaz: CTO-Founder @ Nayah Software
- Arbaz Mateen: Senior Android Developer @ Softagics
- Nithis Kumar, CEO and Developer @ Infinity Tech
- Pavel Dort, Director @ 4mobile s.r.o.
- Sergey Zaychenko, CTO @ HINMAX Development Ltd.
- Olmo Gallegos, Android Developer @ GoMore
- Abhishek Bhardwaj: Software Engineer @ Freelance
- Abdul Aziz: Senior Android Developer @ Freelance
- Cristian Monforte: Android Developer @ Freelance
- Wajahat Karim: Android Developer @ Freelance
- Emanuele Tido: Android Developer @ Freelance
- Divanan Samaroo: Android Developer @ Freelance
- Kyrylo Sadovyj: Android Developer @ Freelance
- Kripesh Adwani: Android Developer @ Freelance
- Evgeny Savicky: Android Developer @ Freelance
- Andrey Nikanorov: Android Developer @ Freelance
- Ivan Golovin: Android Developer @ Freelance
- Anouar Kasbi: Content Writer @ Freelance
- Ulaş Öcal: Software Developer @ Freelance
- Julien.A: Android Developer @ Freelance
- Ibrahim Dao: Android Developer @ Freelance
- Bruno Verçosa Martins: Senior Android Developer @ Freelance
Please share and make this open letter reach every Android Developer you know. Let’s support an extremely needed change for the good and the future of the community.
(Contact me if you want your case listed here)
- Matjaž Marolt @ PC Mehanik (Status: Account Reinstantiated)
My Google Play Publisher account with 5+ million downloads terminated by a bot after 7 years
Open letter to the Google Play team, especially Purnima Kochikar, director of Google Play, Apps & Games at Google.
- Dmitry Goryachev @ CATS OF DESPAIR (Status: Account Terminated)
How Google ruined our dreams by wrong termination of Google developer account
One more open letter from a small indie studio CATS OF DESPAIR to the Android Community and Google Play, Apps & Games…
- Sang Gwon Park @ Ted Park (Status: Account Terminated)
3 million downloads Google’s App developer account has been terminated
This unfair developer account termination is happening not only to me but also many Android developers around the…
- Margarita Shostak @ Educational Startup (Status: Account Terminated)
Google Play Publisher Account Terminated Without Prior Warning
Google crushed my educational startup after 5 years of loyal service. A plea to Google Play to show some mercy.
- Mike Perrault @ MTPH Software (Status: Account Terminated)
Google Suspended our popular over 1 million download Craigslist app and terminated Developer…
- Sylvan Saurel @ SSaurel‘s Apps (Status: Account Reinstantiated)
Google Just Terminated My Google Play Publisher Account In One Hour After 10 Years Of Loyal Service
An open letter from a humble Android developer to the Android Community and especially to Purnima Kochikar, Director of…
- Tigran Khachatryan @ Self Employed (Status: Apps Suspended)
Google Plays Ignorance: Not only was my App suspended, but my idea (work) was crushed
- Jude Chiy Founder @ getflamingo.com (Status: Account Terminated)
Google Terminated Our Google Play Developer AccountWith No Reason or Warning Thanks to It’s…
If you’ve ever wondered why antitrust laws exist or why monopolies are bad, just read the hundreds of articles by…
- Mark Buckman CTO @ SmartLot Technologies (Status: Account Reinstantiated)
Google’s Automated Termination Robot Strikes Again!
Are you an Android developer? Are you considering becoming one? Please read this short article to learn about a nasty…
- Mahesh Bhalala CEO @Par Infotech (Status: Account Terminated)
Google terminated developer account inappropriately without any violation so far — Everything lost.
An open letter to the Android Google Developers community, especially to Purnima Kochikar, director & Shalini Poddar…
- Way for Best Way @wayforbestway : (Status: Account Terminated)
My Unbelievable Immature Goolge Play Developer Termination …:(
Hi all ,Hoping everyone doing great.I work on Mobility and Web Apps.Learned so many technologies and best practices.I…
- Mathieu Méa @MonTransit: (Status: Account Reinstantiated)
Google just deleted my nearly 10-year-old free & open-source Android app
google@play-store: sudo rm -rf org.mtransit.android*
- TokataSoft: (Status: Account Reinstantiated)
How Google Play “Terminated” a Developer for No Reason
Open letter from an Android developer to the Google Play team and the community of Android developers and users
- HinMax Games Start-Up: (Status: Account Reinstantiated)
Google terminated Google Play Developer account automatically — 3 years of development are lost
This is an open letter from Hinmax Games (Hinmax Development Limited, Hong Kong) to the entire Android community and…
- Manuel Fernandez Garcia: (Status: Account Terminated)
As a Junior Android Freelancer, having your developer account terminated is devastating for your…
After a week without having a human response from Google (I do not consider a bot a response), I am coming to terms…
- Kodular Start-up: (Status: Account Terminated)
- Gaurav Pangam (Status: Account Terminated)
Google Suspended apps and Play Store Developer Account without sufficient warning & time after…
This is an open letter to Google’s Play Store Review Team. Two of My apps were compliant from 2012 to 2018(6 years…
- Yaowei Yeo (Status: Account Terminated)
Google screwed our startup because of the faceless systems they use to deal with app developers
There are no hearings. The faceless algorithms hand down their pre-programmed verdicts, and all we developers can do is…
- HoopApp Loyalty Start-up (Status: Account Reinstantiated)
Google wrongly terminated our new business via our Google Play Developer Account
A plea to all android app developers and small start-up tech business owners to come together and force Google to…
- Titanium Backup App (Status: Account Reinstantiated)
- Michal Stawinsky (Status: Account Reinstatiated)