We’re Hiring an Investment Principal
We — Jana Messerschmidt, Jessica Verrilli, Chloe Sladden, April Underwood, Vijaya Gadde, and Katie Stanton — are a team of experienced operators collaborating to invest in great companies. As founding partners of #Angels, we bring operational experience from leadership roles at Google, Twitter, Slack, Netflix, and many other companies. We’ve launched products from scratch, built global organizations, taken companies public, acquired and sold companies, managed large international teams and done all of the things in-between to scale early stage startups to lasting companies. We love working with entrepreneurs and pool our collective experience to be helpful to the teams we back.
As investors, we believe technology is no longer an industry category but instead a foundational element to every industry. We’ve invested in ~50 companies (including Forward, Gusto, Kit, Color Genomics, Winnie, Shape Security, Nurx, and Eero) across healthcare, security, hardware, enterprise software, personalized medicine and more. We look for founders pursuing an ambitious mission and tackling a meaningful problem. We invest in diverse teams across gender, ethnicity, immigration and LGBT status. Of our investments to date, almost a third have a female co-founder or CEO.
As we continue to grow #Angels, we are looking for an investment Principal to join us part-time. The ideal candidates would have 5–10 years of work experience in a technology company and / or venture capital firm and a strong interest in investing. A technical background is a plus but not required. This role is flexible and we estimate ~5 hours per week, with responsibilities including:
- Diligence and sourcing: help us identify entrepreneurs as they’re getting started and track companies as they are being funded.
- Networking: participate in events including accelerator and incubator demo days as well as investor and founder events to glean insights and knowledge about emerging companies.
- Deal pipeline: manage our deal pipeline including reviewing in-bounds and collaborating with us to vet ideas (researching landscapes, competitive analysis, etc) and proactively setting bi-weekly meeting agendas and reminders for follow up.
- Research: assess competitive landscape and market for investments under consideration. Proactively propose areas of interest and companies for consideration.
- Events: collaborate with us on event planning and execution (estimated ~1 event per quarter).
As part of this role, the investment Principal would join our evening bi-weekly meetings, sit in our company pitches, have the opportunity to co-invest in deals and build deeper networks into Silicon Valley as we interact with other investors and founders. We are flexible in the duration of the role but hope for at least a one year tenure working with us.
To apply for the role, please send a resume and short paragraph expressing your interest to email@example.com. We encourage applicants of any gender, ethnicity, immigration or LGBT status to apply. We would prefer candidates be able to join us in person for meetings and networking in Silicon Valley, but we are open to remote non-Bay Area applicants as well.