Philo Jacoby, King of the Sharpshooters


by Marilyn L. Geary

Portrait of Phil Jacoby, c. 1895

The land near San Rafael’s Marin Square Shopping Center on Bellam Boulevard was once home to Schuetzen Park, a vast 37-acre amusement park that drew crowds from around the Bay Area.

Philo Jacoby, an international rifle champion, opened the park in 1891 as a venue for his rifle club’s shooting matches, competitions then all the rage among sportsmen and spectators. Park goers also enjoyed bowling, dancing, drinking, and dining. In just one week after the opening, the park was booked solid for the season.

Now Jacoby Street, named for the famed rifleman, is the only remaining trace of the popular park. For more, see

Originally published at



Anne T. Kent California Room
Anne T. Kent California Room Newsletter

The official Medium account of the archive of Marin County history & culture at the Marin County Free Library