What’s New in HarmonyOS 2
“Make the impossible possible.”
Another day to be marked in the history of Huawei’s with the launch of HarmonyOS 2 and all scenario new products launch.
Over the past decade we have seen a significant transformation of products, lot of innovations and trend for the phone based like the 5G.
Huawei’s official HarmonyOS 2 was released on Wednesday (June 2, 2021) and introduced the second version of the in-house OS. HarmonyOS has been around for a couple of years now, but version 2 brings a major shift in the digital era. it will power phones, tablets and smartwatches, not just smart TVs and you can watch the streamed video here.
Huawei also announced approximately 100 other Huawei devices ranging from smartphones to tablets that will be upgraded to run HarmonyOS 2 giving consumers access to a seamless intelligent experience across multiple devices in all different types of scenarios.
What is Current Era?
If we look at the history of Operating system it initially started with DOS and then Windows, Symbian followed by iOS and Android and today we come to a new era where everything is connected and more intelligent.
However, it seems to be complicated and it go through this fragmented experience and how do we solve this?
The current Era looks like every product of device contains an Operating system, If you consider Smartphones, we have a separate OS and smart Watches we have an individual Operating system as shown in the below image.
If we give each type of product an individual Operating system, then it will make the whole system complicated and that’s where the new era of OS Harmony OS is into existence.
HarmonyOS is the Operating system that could be used with the Watch, mobile phones, cars, tablet ,tv and wide range of IOT devices and home appliances. HarmonyOS has been utilized in wide range of products “one as all all as one”. that’s the Chinese name of HarmonyOS.
The goal of HarmonyOS is to satisfy different type of hardware ranging from Mobile phones, TV, watches and it even targets smaller devices with 128K as shown below.
It first and only one to enable such a unique kind of system and starting point for IoT.
WHAT HARMONYOS 2.0 OFFERS
- For Consumers: HarmonyOS integrates various smart devices to implement fast connection, capability collaboration, and resource sharing between different devices. This way, services can be seamlessly transferred to a suitable device that delivers a smooth all-scenario experience.
- For Application Developers: HarmonyOS adopts distributed technologies to make application development possible on different device forms. With HarmonyOS, you have the choice to focus on upper-layer service logic and develop applications in a much easier and more efficient way.
- For Device Developers: HarmonyOS uses a component-based software design to tailor itself to particular device forms based on their respective resource capabilities and service characteristics.
Alongside the announcement, the final version of HarmonyOS began to rollout for 18 Huawei devices that include Huawei Mate 40, P40, Mate 30, and MatePad Pro series devices. Furthermore, HarmonyOS closed beta made its way to 28 devices from different smartphone lineups.
Huawei has decided not only to launch HarmonyOS in the recent devices but also target old devices way back up to 2016.
Below are some of the HarmonyOS features to be highlighted.
- HomeScreen — The system app icons look smoother and better than the ones on EMUI 11.
- Control Panel — which is one of the highlighting and interactive features of this release, which consist of shortcut switches like Music controller, super devices, connected devices, volume Controller etc.
- Smart Folder
- Super Device
To establish a connection, you just need to drag and drop the icon of that device to form a super device and control that newly connected device directly from your Super Device.
5. File Access is super easy without requiring a data cable and provides faster and secure file sharing between Huawei smartphones, computers, and tablets.
6. Smart Home is also covered a way to connect your home devices and control them all in one place.
7. Comprehensive performance gains for more privacy and security
Furthermore, Huawei has also shared the information about the device adaptation roadmap of HarmonyOS 2.0 including the following:
- From September 10, 2020 — Device with 128KB to 128MB RAM
- From April 21, 2021 — Device with 128MB to 4GB RAM
- From October 2021 — Device with 4GB to more than 4GB RAM
By the end of 2021, Huawei has planned to install HarmonyOS 2.0 in over 300 million. These devices are smartphones, tablets, smart wearables, IoT devices, and devices from third-party product manufacturers.
You can find more updates on the official Huawei link here.