Growing Up — Ep. 02 (Henry Gordon-Smith) and Ep. 03 (Rick Ladendorf)
Growing Up by Allison Kopf on Apple Podcasts
Download past episodes or subscribe to future episodes of Growing Up by Allison Kopf for free.
We’re on iTunes now! Make sure to subscribe to get access to all episodes.
Growing Up is a podcast about indoor farming growers, entrepreneurs, and technologists. In episode two, I chat with Henry Gordon-Smith, urban agriculture consultant and founder of Agritecture Consulting. Henry is a self-proclaimed “cheerleader” of the industry and has built a business around helping indoor farming entrepreneurs succeed.
Some mistakes Henry sees new farmers make:
- Not enough market research
- Miscalculating costs (labor and product waste)
- Not understanding your production needs and whether a vertical or greenhouse operation would be best
Henry’s resources to check out:
Events to attend if you’re interested in learning more:
- Aglanta: Smart Ag for Smart Cities (Henry and I will both be speaking…let me know if you’re going to attend)
- Agritecture Workshops — workshops focused on collaboration, design, and innovation in urban agriculture and vertical farming
Want to get in touch with Henry? Head to his site: www.agritecture.consulting.
Episode three features Rick Ladendorf, President and co-founder of Global Growables. Global Growables is a container farming company focused on reducing childhood obesity and encouraging local food production. Each container produces over 1,000 lbs of produce.
What’s inside the container?
- 240 sf of grow area
- 64 Micro-Green trays
- 168 vertical towers
- 2,352 grow-pods (plant sites)
- 84 Liquid-cooled Vertical LED lights
- 32 LED Micro-Green Lights
- 14 individually controlled LED Dimmer boxes
- Climate control sensors
- Robust oxygen and CO2 movement
Want to get in touch with Global Growables? Head to their site: http://globalgrowables.com/