Image for post
Image for post
Photo by Connor Coyne on Unsplash

There Is Little Advantage In Playing At Home in a Time of COVID-19

I just loving analysing data, and finding trends. As a lad, I would continually draw league tables and calculate averages. I have never lost this love, and I still analyse trends and forecasts wherever I can.

So, after watching Scotland doing so well away from home, and in seeing Scottish teams winning away from home in European matches, it is becoming obvious that home advantage doesn’t have much of an affect in football. The main difference must be the crowd.

So, I wanted to prove this, and surprising the statistics show no real advantage to one team or another. I thus looked at the Scottish Premier League for 2019–2020, and the current league. For SPL home wins, in 2019–2020, I found that there were 44% home wins, against 30% away wins. But with the current league, there were an equal 40% home wins and the same away wins:

Image for post
Image for post

In terms of goals, there has been a lower average this year, and where the home goals have dropped from 1.55 per game for the home team, to 1.18. The average goals for the home team drops to 1.37, and a small increase in the away goals (to 1.18):

Image for post
Image for post

The smaller teams such as Ross County, St. Mirren and Hamilton actually have more away wins that home ones. Here is the 2019–2020 table [here]:

Image for post
Image for post

and the current one [here]:

Image for post
Image for post

When I analyse the English Premier League for 2019/2020, I get 45% chance of a home win, 24% for a draw, and 31% for an away win, 1.52 goals at home and 1.21 goals away from home. For 2020, there is a 38% chance of a home win, a 19% chance of a draw, and 43% for an away win. The average home goals is 1.4, but the away goals is even higher at 1.6 [here]:

Image for post
Image for post

and the previous season [here]:

Image for post
Image for post

The crowd is the only significant difference between 2019–2020 and the current league, so it looks like having a crowd cheering your team is a significant factor. I alway thought that it was because the team knew the pitch, but this doesn’t seem to be the case. Well, I’m off to watch Hearts, now, and analyse their averages.

ASecuritySite: When Bob Met Alice

This publication brings together interesting articles…

Prof Bill Buchanan OBE

Written by

Professor of Cryptography. Serial innovator. Believer in fairness, justice & freedom. EU Citizen. Auld Reekie native. Old World Breaker. New World Creator.

ASecuritySite: When Bob Met Alice

This publication brings together interesting articles related to cyber security.

Prof Bill Buchanan OBE

Written by

Professor of Cryptography. Serial innovator. Believer in fairness, justice & freedom. EU Citizen. Auld Reekie native. Old World Breaker. New World Creator.

ASecuritySite: When Bob Met Alice

This publication brings together interesting articles related to cyber security.

Medium is an open platform where 170 million readers come to find insightful and dynamic thinking. Here, expert and undiscovered voices alike dive into the heart of any topic and bring new ideas to the surface. Learn more

Follow the writers, publications, and topics that matter to you, and you’ll see them on your homepage and in your inbox. Explore

If you have a story to tell, knowledge to share, or a perspective to offer — welcome home. It’s easy and free to post your thinking on any topic. Write on Medium

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store