What a month it’s been, Gus fans!
When I last wrote, the inaugural print issue of Asparagus Magazine was literally coming off the press. Since then, 24 boxes of magazines were delivered to Gus HQ, about 300 copies have been mailed out, and we had a delightful issue launch party at 8East last Wednesday. If you haven’t got your hands on a copy yet, you can subscribe or order Issue #1 at our online shop. And if you’ve read the issue, we’d love to hear your thoughts, so please send us a note!
So, now what? Well, after a few lean months of online publishing, we’ve got a jam-packed editorial lineup coming your way for the foreseeable future, including some stories published in the print edition, as well as great new web-exclusive content. If you aren’t all caught up online, start your summer off right with our latest offerings:
- A Decider from Glynis Ratcliffe looking into which sunscreens will protect both your skin and fragile coral reefs
- Our very own expert guide to the farmers market, penned by André LaRivière
- Laura Trethewey’s look into the state of North American recycling under China’s National Sword policy: “Recycling May Be Down, But Don’t Count It Out Yet.”
And if you missed the launch party, there are still more opportunities to connect with us in person. First up, the Trout Lake Farmers Market, where we’ll have a table on Saturday, July 27th. Come say hi and enter our July giveaway. (If you’re not able to pay us a visit, see below for other ways to enter). We’ll also be popping up during the Vines Festival, so have a peek at their schedule and make plans to check out some mind-opening eco-art in August — including two presentations by Issue #1 contributor Raven John.
As mentioned above, we’re continuing with our summer of giveaways. July’s giveaway winner will receive: a $100 gift certificate (and an organic lip balm) from our partners at Lunapads, a print subscription to Asparagus, some sustainable Gus swag, and a sample of eco-friendly laundry detergent from Eucalan. (Apologies international Gus fans, but for now our giveaways are restricted to folks in Canada and the US.)
There are many ways to enter:
- Post a photo of Issue #1 on social media, tag us, and use the hashtag #gogusgo, OR
- Sign up for our Mailchimp newsletter, OR
- Those who already subscribe to the newsletter can enter by spreading the word about it. (You’ll be entered every time someone you know signs up and tells us you sent them. And of course they’ll be entered too. This is the link to share: http://eepurl.com/c4wRdP.)
And that’s all the news that’s fit to print for the moment. I look forward to crossing paths this summer, and hearing your thoughts on our first print issue.
Enjoy your summer of Gus!
Editrix in Chief, Asparagus Magazine