- MLS is Back watch party on Saturday for NYRB and Atlanta United.
- Circle Brewing Co to-go promotion. $40 for two six packs and an Anthem scarf. Order online or at the brewery. Look forward to working with them in the future, so be sure to go out and pick up some of their delicious brewski.
- Kicked off on June 27th with North Carolina beating Portland on CBS
- North Carolina dominating so far.
- Most exciting game was Houston’s 3–3 draw with Utah that they should have won if not for a mystery call by the referee negating what would have been their 4th goal.
- Dash recovered to take a 2–0 win against OL Reign on the 4th of July.
- Group stages end on July 13, but everyone will qualify for the knockout round, with the final on July 26th.
- All games on CBS All Access up until the final on CBS.
Major League Soccer Updates
- The MLS is Back tournament starts on the 8th (so by the time you’re hearing this, it should have kicked off)
- We say should, because FC Dallas has been withdrawn from the tournament due to a 10 players and one technical staff testing positive for Covid. Reports suggest that this was demanded by other teams and not a willing withdrawal.
- Thirteen players across the league tested positive, ten from dallas and three from two other teams. Nashville/Chicago postponed already.
- Schedule is fully out there. Best matches of the early round:
- Saturday at 7pm — Atlanta United and NYRB, our watch party on Zoom. Big boy FOX.
- Monday the 13th at 9:30pm — Galaxy/Portland on FS1
- Saturday the 18th at 9:30pm — LAFC vs LA Galaxy on ESPN
World Football Updates
- Liverpool takes the Premier League crown with second-place Manchester City’s loss to fourth-place Chelsea, where Christian Pulisic is becoming a key part of Chelsea’s late surge. Heading into Matchday 34, Chelsea have won 5 of their last 7.
- Fifth-place Manchester United is unbeaten in their last nine and is only two points behind Chelsea for that last Champions League spot.
- Real Madrid has a 4 point cushion atop the La Liga standings, with Barcelona dropping points at Atletico Madrid, Celta Vigo, and Sevilla since the restart. Real is perfect since play resumed. Four games left to play in Spain.
- Juventus look likely to secure their ninth consecutive Serie A title and have opened up a 7 point gap to second-place Lazio with 8 games remaining. Inter and Atalanta are all but assured Champions League qualification.
Austin FC Supporter Section Ticket Memberships
Supporter Section Ticket Memberships went on sale this week. Supporters Section is GA, but for non-Austin FC matches will be assigned seating. Purchase them on SeatGeek when your window opens — if it hasn’t already.
- All Austin FC regular season matches
- US Open Cup and CONCACAF CL home matches through quarterfinals
- Up to 1 friendly match
- First right to purchase home playoff matches
- 10% select Austin FC merch
Make sure you’re a member of Austin Anthem, as we’ll be tasked with turning that section into a cacophony of sound in a semi-organized fashion on Matchday.
Austin FC’s First Player Signing: Rodney Redes
- 20 year old forward from La Colmena, Paraguay
- Very versatile player, can play left or right wing, or central midfielder
- Short, stocky build, very fast, good change of pace-type, reminds many of Hulk from Brazil or Josef Martinez
- Paraguay media touts him as a gem for Club Guaraní
- Club president indicated there is also interest from Austin FC for another young Guaraní player
- Interview with father — Ramon, mom, sister are very proud and cried with happiness over the news, knew since Father’s Day, father played for River Plate in early 90s
- Per ESPN — $2.5m transfer, salary about $200k per year, will not be DP
- Nickname is “Picante”
- Interview with Roberto Rojas of BeIN Sports, who’s parents are from Paraguay and is very familiar with the Paraguay Primera Division and Rodney Redes
- Our Spanish-language podcast now has its own stream. Go to ElHimnodeAustin.org or search “El Himno de Austin” on your favorite podcast app.
- Austin Anthem is the Supporters Group for Austin FC. If you’re not already a member, sign-up online at AustinAnthem.org. You can follow us on all the social networks at “AustinAnthem”
- 2020 Membership Kits and merch are on sale at the online store.
- Austin FC supporters can join the discussion in our Austin Anthem Grackle Nest Facebook group and the Austin FC reddit. Paid members should also check their email for information on how to join our discussions on Slack.
- Our intro and outro music this episode is from Austin Apologue. Vince Sellers is the gentlemen behind the music. He dropped a track on YouTube which caught our attention called “McKalla Place” and his nephews provide the vocals — one of which just made the Austin FC U13 development team. Listen to the full track on YouTube.
- Being the live music capital, if you’d like to send us music to use in the pod or know some musicians who might be interested, drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to showcase more Austin music and musicians to Austin soccer fans.
- The Austin Anthem podcast is recorded here in Austin, Texas. This episode was hosted by Tony Cardone and Jorge Chavez.
- Remember to leave us a review and subscribe to the show. It helps other Austin soccer fans find it and also allows them to question your listening choices.
- Wear a mask. Stay safe.
Austin Anthem is the independent supporters group for Austin FC, the Major League Soccer club of Austin, Texas.
For more information, visit us online at AustinAnthem.org