Podcast #46: Austin FC General Memberships On Sale! MLS is Back and NWSL Tournament Updates. The Coffee, Beer, & Grackle Connection.
Show notes from Episode 46 of the Austin Anthem Podcast. The longest-running soccer podcast in Central Texas and your number one source for Austin FC and Austin Supporter and Community news.
Anthem Updates / Upcoming Events
- Little City Coffee Promotions — Grackle Pack is $19.99, to your door with a Grackle coffee.
- We’re following up our Circle Brewing promotion from a few weeks ago with our upcoming collaboration brew of Austin Anthem Ale. More details to come.
- It’s great get more grackle out there to be part of people’s day, but in this challenging retail climate, these partnerships we’ve been doing with local businesses make a real impact on their business. Many are trying to figure out how to survive 3 more months. This is Anthem community support in action. So please shop our partners and tell a friend.
Major League Soccer Updates
- Discussion on Charlotte FC’s branding is not positive.
- Charlotte, Sacramento, and St. Louis are all being pushed back a year. Austin is still go.
- A recap of the MLS is Back Tournament
- Shocking: Atlanta United winless. Zero goals, three 1–0 losses. Frank De Boer “mutually departs” club
- Dynamo concede 91st minute penalty to LA Galaxy, both teams eliminated with that result
- Best team left? LAFC strong case after finding a groove, Columbus looks like they’re firing on all cylinders. Sporting KC is the bookies favorite to win, though largely because their bracket half is easier — much easier.
- NWSL Challenge Cup Recap — Champions Houston Dash. 2–0 win over Chicago Red Stars. First post-season appearance in club history and they won it all. PK goal in the 4th minute and clincher in stoppage time.
- Overwhelming favorite NC Courage shocked by 8 seed Portland in the first round with a 1–0 match
- Angel City FC is the other big NWSL news of the tournament
World Soccer Updates
- Liverpool received their title after thrilling 5–3 win over Chelsea last week. They’ll be joined by Manchester City, Manchester United, and Chelsea as next year’s Champions League entrants from England after United beat Leicester City on the final day of the year. Bournemouth, Watford, and Norwich relegated.
- Leeds United wins the Championship for a highly anticipated return to the Premier League. West Brom will join them. Biggest story though? Swansea City’s ability to overturn a six goal deficit to Nottingham Forest to snag the last playoff spot. It’s Brentford, Fulham, Cardiff City, and Swansea City in the playoffs for that promotion to the Premier League.
- Juventus took home their 9th straight Serie A title, though a bit later than expected. Inter Milan, Atalanta, and Lazio will be Italy’s representatives.
Austin FC Updates
- General Tickets went on sale on Monday.
- North End stadium bar announced. Office space will now be stadium bar
- There will be 18 taps, 20 TV screens, a large video wall, and air-conditioning in the 400-person capacity space.
- Video board installed behind the South Stand — 2 sections wide
- Rodney Redes contributed to goal in Club Guarani’s 1–1 draw
- 1 year anniversary of Josh Wolff’s signing
- Davy Arnaud announced as assistant coach, reuniting with Josh and Claudio. Arnaud played for Sporting KC, Montreal, and DC United, and coached for DC United and was interim head coach at Houston after Wilmer Cabera’s resignation but before Tab Ramos. Played with Josh at SKC.
- Minimum of 30 full scholarships to CAYSA U7 -U10 focusing on young females — apply at CAYSA.org
- Our Spanish-language podcast now has its own stream. Go to ElHimnodeAustin.org or search “El Himno de Austin” on your favorite podcast app.
- Austin Anthem is the Supporters Group for Austin FC. If you’re not already a member, sign-up online at AustinAnthem.org. You can follow us on all the social networks at “AustinAnthem”
- “Pose”: Our intro and outro music this week is by Austin Apologue, who cut us a custom track for the podcast.
- Being the live music capital, if you’d like to send us music to use in the pod or know some musicians who might be interested, drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to showcase more Austin music and musicians to Austin soccer fans.
- 2020 Membership Kits are still available on the Austin Anthem site and merch is available for sale at the online store.
- Austin FC supporters can join the discussion in our Austin Anthem Grackle Nest Facebook group and the Austin FC reddit. Paid members can also join our discussions on Slack.
- The Austin Anthem podcast is recorded here in Austin, Texas. This episode was hosted by Tony Cardone and Matt Barbour.
- Remember to leave us a review and subscribe to the show. It helps other Austin soccer fans find it and also allows them to question your listening choices.
- Wear a mask. Stay safe.
Austin Anthem is the independent supporters group for Austin FC, the Major League Soccer club of Austin, Texas.
For more information, visit us online at AustinAnthem.org