Podcast 53: Adrian Healey Pronounces “Taco” for Us — and We Love It!
Show notes from the Austin Anthem Podcast, the longest-running soccer podcast in Central Texas and your number one source for Austin FC, Austin Soccer Supporter, and Austin Community news.
Austin FC Updates
- First seats were installed in the stadium last week.
- The grass installation was completed over the weekend. Installation took about 3 days and was done at night. They cut it in Arizona, trucked it to McKalla, and installed it in 24 hours.
- The club announced that it will field a unified Special Olympics team in 2021
- Austin-based Netspend was announced as the official sleeve sponsor of Austin FC
- The 4ATX Foundation was busy last week too. They unveiled a mini-pitch at Woolridge School Park and along with St David’s HealthCare, distributed 1000 soccer balls at HopeFest Family Resource.
- CapMetro released some renderings of what the rail stop at McKalla Place might look like. We’ve got a copy of the rendering up on our Instagram account.
Anthem Updates / Upcoming Events
- Look for a member survey invite in your email. As we plan for 2021, we want your feedback and input.
- Want to volunteer and be part of the SG team? Help us set the bar for the best supporter experience in MLS in 2021. Check the latest member newsletter for details or contact us via the website or on social media.
- Our Keep Austin Verde t-shirts are now on sale. $25 or $30 with a grackle gaiter. Proceeds benefit the Austin Parks Foundation — also another Austin FC partner.
- If deals are your jam, get your pick of an Anthem scarf and Anthem polo by adidas for just $50. The polos also come in a women’s cut.
- Join us at Myers Fields on Friday, October 30th at 7pm for the final home match of the Texas Longhorns soccer season as they take on Baylor. If you ordered a Texas Longhorns and Austin Anthem co-branded scarf, you can pick it up at the match. There are a handful left of you want to pick one up. $35 and the money goes to soccer operations.
- Reminder on the election, if you vote in the city, Austin Anthem supports both Prop A. and Prop B. Please vote “Yes” on both.
- If you have something you want to hear more of, less of, or have other feedback on the show, send us a note at email@example.com.
Major League Soccer
- The Supporters’ Shield Foundation reversed their decision and will award it this year. Austin Anthem is the ISC member for Austin and our member representatives voted in favor of awarding it. Fun fact: Austin Anthem will be the custodians of the shield when Austin FC wins it.
- The league is rumored to be considering pushing the start of the 2021 season to April. Good news, we might be able to play our first regular season match at home. Bad news, it means COVID is enough of an issue where match scheduled and stadium attendance is still in question.
- We have part two of our interview with Adrian Healey, Executive Director of Broadcast and Content for Austin FC. If you missed part one, just go back one episode, where cover how he got into broadcasting through the early years of MLS. In the second part of the interview, we talk how he came to Austin FC and quiz Adrian on Texas words and phrases.
- This is the last week for early voting. If you haven’t already, beat the lines and get out and vote this week. If not, definitely get out and vote on Tuesday, November 3rd.
- Austin Anthem is the Supporters Group for Austin FC. Check out AustinAnthem.org to learn more, become a member, and connect and chat with other grackles.
- Anthem merchandise is available on our online store. Free shipping and cool gear for in the stands or around Austin. Merch money goes to fund our non-profit’s operation.
- This episode’s outro music is “Footsteps of a Fool”, written and performed by Bobby Pounds, who is a local country music artist from Austin, Texas. Aside from writing and performing his own material, he has also written songs for major Texas artists including Kevin Fowler and others. You can find out more information about Bobby and his music at https://reverbnation.com/bobbypounds
- If you’d like to send us music to use in the pod or know some musicians who might be interested, drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to showcase more Austin music and musicians to Austin soccer fans.
- This episode was hosted by Matt Barbour and Mark Turner
- Remember to leave us a review and subscribe to the show. It helps other Austin soccer fans find what you’ve already listened to.
Thanks for listening!
Wear a mask. Stay safe. Vote!