A very punchy 2020 wrap-up: Matt, Mark, and Conor recap the latest in Austin FC signings, land a well-timed Beyonce joke, engage in some pronunciation butchering of places and clubs around the world, and reveal some light stalking of Messi during discussion of his coming to MLS — someday. Musical guest this episode: The Bright Light Social Hour.
Austin Anthem Updates
- The largest and original Supporters Group for all of Austin has 2021 memberships available. Memberships start at free and we have some cool kits you can add-on.
- All members can also join our organizational team and help shape match day traditions for generations to come. Drop us a line and make your voice heard.
- 2021 leadership elections will be held in January. More information on that will be dropping soon. We look forward to more members becoming involved — start thinking of catchy campaign slogans.
Austin FC Updates
Recap of players acquired since last episode:
- Alex Ring
- Hector Jimenez
- Jhohan Romaña
- Andrew Tarbell
- Brad Stuver
- We’re up to 15 total, so we could technically play a match
- The Joe Corona kerfuffle
Major League Soccer Updates
- MLS informs players union that it will invoke force majeure clause to terminate CBA — Looking like the league does not expect full stadiums until at least mid-season
- Messi, Suarez to Miami in 2022?
NWSL / Women’s Soccer Updates
- European Leagues table recap
World Soccer Updates
- Round up of action from the weekend
- Copa Libertadores — Semifinals: Santos (Brazil) vs. Boca Juniors (Argentina) / Palmeiras (Brazil) vs. River Plate (Argentina)
- Recap of Tables
- Who’s the team of calendar year 2020? Men’s Player of 2020? Women’s Player of 2020?
- Make your picks segment — Big games coming up
- Austin Anthem is the Supporters Group for Austin FC. If you’re not already a member, sign-up online at AustinAnthem.org. You can follow us on all the social networks at “AustinAnthem”
- Anthem merchandise is available on our online store. Free shipping of fantastic gear for in the stands or around Austin. Merch money goes to fund our non-profit’s operation.
- We close out our episode today from one of Austin’s most iconic bands: The Bright Light Social Hour. This group is quintessentially Austin: honest, provocative, political, soulful, and they just flat-out rock! They have proven to be one of the most popular acts on the major festival circuit, winning over fans from ACL to Lollapalooza and beyond. They have recently released a very personal duo of albums, Jude Vol. 1 and Jude Vol. 2. The song we are playing is called “Enough”; for more information visit thebrightlightsocialhour.com
- If you’d like to send us music to use in the pod or know some musicians who might be interested, drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to showcase more Austin music and musicians to Austin soccer fans.
- This episode was hosted by Matt Barbour, Conor Heffernan, and Mark Turner.
- Remember to leave us a review and subscribe to the show. It helps other Austin soccer fans find what you’ve already listened to.
Thanks for supporting Austin Anthem in 2020 and here’s to 2021 and the on-field debut of Austin FC!
Wear a mask. Stay safe. Happy New Year!