Influencer Ashley Martinez Shares Her Top Selfcare, Wellness, and Beauty Tips
An Interview With Ming Zhao
Treat yourself to a well-deserved day at the spa or try a service that you’ve been eyeing I had a full day of manicure, pedicure and facial last week and I walked out feeling like a movie start. After my facial I went a full day without makeup, and I have to say it was so freeing! Highly recommend!
At times it feels like wellness or elevating one’s well being, is diametrically opposed to high achievement and high performance in one’s career. The stress, mental energy, long hours, lack of restful sleep and preoccupation that result from a high-achievement life seem to directly inhibit wellness. And yet, in order to sustain the creativity, flexibility, mental acuity and resilience that are necessary for high performance, wellness and wellbeing of the mind, body and soul are also mandatory. So how do we achieve both? This is the question I’m hoping to answer through conversations with high-achieving leaders and influencers who are practicing their own philosophies about how to maintain their wellbeing.
As a part of our series about “Social Media Influencers Share Their Top Self Care, Wellness, and Beauty Tips, I had the pleasure of interviewing Ashley Martinez .
My name is Ashley Martinez. I am a South Florida girl, born and raised, sharing my love for all things Fashion, Lifestyle and Travel.
Growing up the youngest of three girls, I am lucky to have two built in best friends as well as amazing parents who have always supported my dreams.
After studying Communications and Event Planning at Florida State University followed by ten years working in the events industry, I decided to leave my comfort zone and start my page @mykindofcasual. I still work in corporate events and I am fortunate enough to produce events for Student ACES, a nonprofit founded by my dad and sister that teaches leadership, character and life skills to high school athletes.
Thank you so much for doing this with us! Our readers would love to get to know you a bit better. None of us are able to achieve success without some help along the way. Is there a particular person who you are grateful towards who helped get you to where you are? Can you share a story about that?
It takes a village! When I first started blogging and dabbling in fashion, I had no idea it would turn into my career. My sisters and two best friends told me I was meant to be a fashion blogger and supported me from day one!
Before I started my blogging, I had a major shopping problem. Two of my closest friends own a local boutique called Lola Chiq. They were a huge part of my success. It was with them, and for Lola Chiq, that I did my first try on and photoshoot. I was so uncomfortable! I will never forget filming my first try on in store and the feeling of insecurity and embarrassment that little old me was trying to be a fashion influencer. They cheered me on and MADE me film it. THANK YOU, Maria and Marietta :)
I would never be where I am today without the support of all the local businesses that partnered with me when I had almost zero followers!
Can you share a story with us about the most humorous mistake you made when you were first starting? What lesson or take-away did you learn from that?
I can’t think of a humorous mistake, but I can think of a big lesson & takeaway. Upon graduating college and trying to figure out where I wanted to go with my career, I quickly realized (and honestly was pleasantly surprised) that most of the influencer community is built of incredible individuals that want you to thrive and succeed. I felt fortunate to have so many in my corner and to be supported by so many successful people. When I first started fashion blogging, I compared myself to everyone and, because I first started, EVERYONE had more followers that I did. I would attend events and see well-known bloggers and almost hide because I was embarrassed to say I just started and that my following was not as large as theirs. My advice is to talk to everyone and gain knowledge and advice and when the time comes share it with people that were in your same position. I’ve realized now that everyone has a different path and there is room for everyone in this ever-growing industry.
As an influencer, you have been blessed with great success in a career path that many have attempted, but eventually gave up on. In fact, perhaps most people who tried to follow a career path like yours did not succeed. Do you have any words of advice for others who may want to embark on this career path but know that their dreams might be dashed?
JUST GO FOR IT and prepare to work your butt off!! Post that photo that you’ve been waiting to post. Share the video that you don’t think is good enough. I was once told that there is only one you. This market is saturated YES, but there is no YOU yet! Be yourself and if you really want it you have to start somewhere…why not TODAY!
Can you share with our readers some of the strategies you’ve used to build an engaged, loyal, and large online community?
The best strategy I can share is to be your authentic self. Your followers love to feel understood and heard. When I am vulnerable and share the raw truth and humanity is when my followers are the most engaged. Listen to what your followers are saying and take note when creating content. Create polls and question boxes to gain follower feedback and promote interaction — a conversation is healthy, after all we’re human. In the beginning of blogging, I was always trying to portray my best self. I quickly realized that I am definitely not perfect and sharing the imperfections is what helped me gain my loyal and engaged following! Show up every single day for your followers that are showing up for you!
Ok thank you for all that. Now let’s shift to the main focus of our interview. In my work, I focus on how one can thrive and care for oneself in three areas: body, mind, and heart. You are a busy person with a demanding schedule, can you share with our readers two self-care routines, practices or treatments that help your body thrive? (Kindly share a story or an example for each.)
1. Something that I’ve recently added to my daily routine that everyone can try is at the end of my shower I turn the water freezing cold for at least one minute. It’s fight or flight mode. My body and mind wake up — it is the best and worst way to start the day!
2. I really started focusing on skincare these past two years. A few months ago, I did a CO2 Laser on my face, and it was the most amazing treatment I’ve ever done. It was painful and there was a lot of healing, but my skin has never been clearer or brighter. CO2 took away all of my sunspots and rejuvenated my skin to that youthful glow we all strive for!
3. Get outside every single day and move! My heart, body and mind are most clear when I do something active outside even if I can only sneak in 10 minutes! I like to take walks around the neighborhood with my pup Lola to move and get some sunshine! Natural Vitamin D works wonders!
Can you share with us two routines that you use to help your mind or heart to thrive? (Kindly share a story or example for each.)
- The one thing that helps both my mind and heart to thrive is quality time with family, pup and fiancé. Nothing clears my head and sparks inspiration like unplugged and carefree time with the people (and pup) I care about most. I may be biased, but I am blessed with the most AMAZING family in the entire world. They keep me grounded and in check every single day! My heart is the fullest when I am with them!
- On the contrary, alone time to clear my head is extremely important. I take time every morning to pray or meditate and be alone with my thoughts before I tackle the day. I do this before I look at any devices or social media pages. It is my sanity!
Can you share five ideas that anyone can use “to feel beautiful”? (Please share a story or example for each.)
- Play some loud music and dance around your house as you get ready! This makes me feel inspired and carefree!
- Treat yourself to a well-deserved day at the spa or try a service that you’ve been eyeing I had a full day of manicure, pedicure and facial last week and I walked out feeling like a movie start. After my facial I went a full day without makeup, and I have to say it was so freeing! Highly recommend!
- Get dressed for yourself! Pick out an outfit that makes you feel beautiful for you! Don’t listen to fashion trends or norms pick something that you love because YOU love it!
- Go to a workout class! I am my best self when I am going to pilates a few times a week!
5. Do something kind for someone else. You will feel beautiful from the inside out!
Do you have a story about the strangest, most bizarre or funniest wellness treatment that you’ve ever experienced?
Oh gosh…I will say being an influencer there are so many different new technologies, beauty treatments & weight loss fads that companies reach out to you to promote!
I think the funniest story I can recall would be when I was asked to try a treatment called Emsculpt — I was hooked up to a machine with it activating my abdominal muscles. During the treatment I was attempting to chat with the representative to learn more (education is key) and the wind was knocked out of me every few seconds and I couldn’t even create a sentence that made sense. We were laughing to hard! Lesson learned…additional time is often needed to evaluate an experience-drive product.
As an influencer, you are a person of great influence. If you could inspire a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the most amount of people, what would that be? You never know what your idea can trigger.
As a fashion and lifestyle influencer I think my movement would be to say at least one positive compliment to another woman every single day. I have witnessed the most amazing women and had the opportunity to meet some inspiring and incredible role models. The common characteristics were positivity and kindness. Spreading love and positivity makes you feel good and can change someone’s life! You never know what someone is struggling with or trying to overcome.
One compliment on a bad day can change everything! It’s crazy the shift you start to see in yourself when you start accepting and building up other women!
We are very blessed that some of the biggest names in Business, VC funding, Sports, and Entertainment read this column. Is there a person in the world with whom you’d like to have a private breakfast or lunch with, and why? He or she might just see this. :-)
This is such a tough one there are so many incredible individuals that I would LOVE to meet! I have to say Anna Wintour. She is an icon in the fashion industry. I would love to hear her stories and the evolution of fashion in her eyes! A few others that have been influential in my journey, Julie Sarinana of Sincerely Jules, Arielle Charnas of Something Navy, Blake Lively (I find it so amazing she has styled herself since day one) and Adele (I just adore her voice and would love to hear her sing one note in person. She is incredible!).
What is the best way our readers can follow you on social media?
Authority readers can find me on Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest and Like to Know It (best spot to shop my looks) @mykindofcasual you can also check out my website mykindofcasual.com . I am looking forward to seeing all of your faces showing up on my pages!
Thank you for these fantastic insights. We wish you only continued success in your great work!