Julie Ashby: “We need to release the fear that somehow there isn’t enough for us all. It is safe to connect and look outside to other countries and culture for collaboration partnerships”
As a part of my series about leaders helping to make the entertainment industry more diverse and representative, I had the distinct pleasure of interviewing Julie Ashby. Julie has worked nearly 2 x decades in Corporate Media speaking to audiences and advertisers. Originally from Sydney she is a Keynote Speaker with a signature talk “I jumped and the net didn’t catch me” and host of upcoming Radio Show “Awaken your Potential NOW” on Universal Broadcast Network produced in Hollywood.
Thank you so much for doing this with us! Can you tell us a story about what brought you to this specific career path?
After nearly a decade in Advertising Agencies in Sydney, Australia I moved into TV Networks as I wanted to make programing decisions and have involvement on what content was produced and went to air. I decided I would work in TV in the States and after a Leap of Faith I landed my dream job in Los Angeles as a TV Network Executive for FOX . This was definitely one of the bravest things I ever did as it hadn’t been done before and there were no guarantees it would work out.
I followed my strategy of building relationships and connection and most of all held the Belief. The strategy was I quit my career in Australia, downsized my house into a suitcase, sold all my possessions and lived between NYC and Europe for 7 months having meetings and then waiting it out at a Yoga school/ retreat in Greece for 3 of those 7 months. Those were some anxious times but it was also when I received solid proof that my Intuition and inner guidance was not only valid but always right.
The synchronicities proved Universal Intelligence to me and by combining Spiritual practice with Practical radical action resulted in my dream job in Los Angeles.
Can you share a story about the funniest mistake you made when you were first starting? Can you tell us what lesson you learned from that?
Lets just say as the only Australian and one of very few females in my high profile entertainment role in Los Angeles I did not take any crap from day 1 and wasn’t afraid to stand up for myself.
I’ve always lived my life open and honestly but not everyone has good intentions and the younger me would of guarded her energy and boundaries better in that environment.
Can you describe how you are helping to make popular culture more representative of the US population?
My role at the TV Studio involved Focus Groups ranging from talking to groups of men in NYC, Texas, Chicago, Miami, Indianapolis, Oklahoma, Southern California and so on. Very diverse and the most common theme was their family and how they spend time and connect. This type of programming was sports related and it came down to how they would spend time together as a family.
When I worked on the launch of a Spanish Chanel I interviewed viewers in Queens NYC in their actual homes to help determine what content and viewing times would work best a family.
Now I will be the first Australian to host her own show on Universal Broadcast Network, showing that Transformation is Universal and we all have the same nudge of potential no matter our background .
Can you share three reasons with our readers about why it’s really important to have diversity represented in Entertainment and its potential effects on our culture?
- Each state is different and unique and needs to be treated as such. Commuting, driving, viewing, phone usage vary greatly between NYC and Texas for example. California and NYC may be the biggest population but are not accurate sample for the entire country
- Once you have a family that takes priority. Entertainment for families must be inclusive as its how they spend quality time together
- Language, culture, cooking and get together are an act of love and tradition and all should be acknowledged and treated as such to keep the family legacy alive
Can you recommend three things the community/society/the industry can do help address the root of the diversity issues in the entertainment business?
- Look at the bigger picture. The United States only makes up 4% of the world’s population. 4%. Not 40% . The news/ media especially needs to filter the entertainment / news from a Global scale
- The VISA / job process is incredibly difficult in the States. A lot of, not all of, but a lot of the time unless you are face to face you don’t have a shot. Embrace international connections, opportunities, skype calls. Let movement of country to country talent become more accessible. This will create more international relationships and awareness
- Release the fear and scarcity that somehow there isn’t enough for us all. it is safe to connect and look outside to other countries and culture for collaboration partnerships.
How do you define “Leadership”? Can you explain what you mean or give an example?
Leadership is — how can we do this together- that there is a greater mission. Inter-dependance. Philanthropy towards a mission rather than a self serving need for the spotlight.
A leader removes their own egos needs or meaning and leads for the greater good. Teaches and shares the steps along the way.
But a leaders needs must be taken care of in order to have great health and energy. Sleep, nutrition, joy and fun, balance in their wellbeing. Dedication to the mission also requires time for creative play. Joan of Arc was one of our first leaders but she had martyr tendencies who ultimately paid the price. Undercharging or working for free isn’t going to elevate your mission. Richard Branson is a wonderful example- he owns something like 400+ companies and still carries that childlike fun spirit and people enjoy being around him.
Joy vs the “heaviness” of duty attracts more success
What are your “5 things I wish someone told me when I first started” and why. Please share a story or example for each.
- Always back and trust yourself- that tight feeling in your gut is ALWAYS right
- The Corporate work environment isn’t a place for unconditional trust- protect yourself and don’t share too much, too soon (not everyone is like you!). This is why I love coaching so much. All work is based on Truth.
- We are all the same- producers, heads of studios, Senior VP’s- we are all humans here to do a job/ mission and I would of asked for more sooner
- Your unique experience is so valuable. I would of hired a coach 20 years ago to stop my habit of downplaying and deflecting my value and instead owned and received my potential
- Just because you are born into a certain family/ situation / city / country doesn’t not define who you are and what you are allowed to have. Destiny vs Freewill. Your freewill must be utilized in order to change course of your life and this can be done at any time, you don’t have to “wait”
You are a person of enormous influence. If you could inspire a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the most amount of people, what would that be? You never know what your idea can trigger. :-)
My movement and Methodology as a Coach / Author is the 5D solution to Career Transition .
It is a balance of Practicality and Spirituality action and habits that are required to become entrepreneurial.
The Emotional Frequency is a measurement as to what Leap you will be successful at and how to work your way up to ultimate Peace in your Career.
I have a Keynote speech “I jumped and the net didn’t catch me’ and am an Author of an upcoming book based on the same name.
Can you please give us your favorite “Life Lesson Quote”? Can you share how that was relevant to you in your life?
Dr Wayne Dyer was my favorite teacher. His message was on self reliance. I was lucky enough to fly and see him a week before he passed away in August 2015.
My second favorite influence was Louise Hay who then passed on the same date, August 30, 2 years later. One of my goals is to be Hay House Author and Radio Host and speak on their stages.
How funny is this, the day I checked into my first spiritual retreat it was August 30 ☺ (2010).
Wayne Dyer validated to me there are no coincidences and Louise Hay taught me to trust “Life”.
I made a video on youtube about it on his first year anniversary.
Is there a person in the world, or in the US whom you would love to have a private breakfast or lunch with, and why? He or she might just see this, especially if we tag them. :-)
Yes. Bethenny Frankel.
I relate to her beliefs from both our mothers backstory and behaviors.
I admire her inventor vision and her recent MGM production deal excites me- I would love to work with her in that space and contribute great original content
How can our readers follow you on social media?
I love connecting on social media!
FB- you can write to me on my business page
Instagram- follow or DM me here
Website : www.julieashby.com
This was very meaningful, thank you so much!
Thank you for this opportunity.