“You can never go wrong by spending money or time on your own personal growth” with Michael Huey and Chaya Weiner
You can never go wrong by spending money or time on your own personal growth: I once heard John Maxwell say that if you find yourself in a room where you are the smartest person there, get out! Always surround yourself with people smarter than you so you can learn and grow.
I had the pleasure of interviewing Michael Huey Public Speaker & CEO of He-Fluence who helps empower men to walk in purpose and guiding them with innovative, impactful strategies on how to live their best lives in business, health, and relationships. Top Entrepreneur to follow in 2019, Certified Elite Trainer for American Council of Exercise for 15+ years. Leadership Development Mentoring Program with Dr John C. Maxwell. 20+ years in the gym industry as a trainer certified in: Sports Nutrition; Weight Loss & Weight Management; Anti-Aging; Injury Prevention & Post-Injury Rehabilitation; and much more. Top 1% earner in the fitness industry for over 20 plus years obtaining over 25 certifications in the industry while being a master educator for several organizations.
Thank you so much for doing this with us! Can you tell us a story about what brought you to this specific career path?
I was an athlete in college and I really wanted to make an impact on the health of those around me, I was having dreams as a kid about the lives God wanted me to change. So I went to undergraduate and graduate school to study nutrition, wellness , exercise science, also got a degree In counseling. After college I continued to pursue 25+ certifications in my field.
Can you share the most interesting story that happened to you since you began leading your company?
I started giving men their life back; for example, my client Frank most recently. I taught him step by step how to strengthen and save his marriage, how to get off of medications and function as a healthy man. How to increase his sales in his business by 25%. How to lead his family like never before.
Can you share a story about the funniest mistake you made when you were first starting? Can you tell us what lesson you learned from that?
Well it was funny to me because I sent an email to the wrong client and I realized how important communication was by picking up the phone was. Communication is always a number one priority.
What do you think makes your company stand out? Can you share a story?
Well, I would say that it’s how year after year seeing men’s lives are drastically changed. Take my client Mike for example, who has recently spent $1000’s of dollars year after year trying to lose weight . He lost 35 lbs of fat gained 10 lbs of muscle, 6 inches in his waist, and reduced his cellular age by 4 years in our 90 day program and is on his second 90 days.
Are you working on any exciting new projects now? How do you think that will help people?
Oh I’m so excited about our live event in Tampa Florida November 1–3 . It will be the top event for men entrepreneurs in 2019.
What advice would you give to other CEOs or founders to help their employees to thrive?
We have daily prayer and personal development sessions to start every day. We teach them how all our programs work so they can help others. And have fun!
How do you define “Leadership”?
Leadership is not about titles, positions or flowcharts. It is about one life influencing another person to walk in purpose.
What advice would you give to other CEOs about the best way to manage a large team?
To create leaders upon leaders who walk in the same mindset that you set. The word I set my life upon and company is intentionally by example.
None of us are able to achieve success without some help along the way. Is there a particular person who you are grateful towards who helped get you to where you are? Can you share a story about that?
Dr John C Maxwell was the pastor of my church as a young child. Later in life now I get to read his books, go to his leadership seminars and sit under the greatest leadership development teacher in the world.
How have you used your success to bring goodness to the world?
We are partnering with several non profits to make money matter. We can’t take what we have with us and to me there is a time to give and a time to receive. My grandmother taught me it’s always better to be a servant leader in life. I want to make a difference in every life I come in contact with.
What are your “5 Things I Wish Someone Told Me Before I Became CEO” and why? (Please share a story or example for each.)
- You can’t something for someone that they don’t want for themselves: I had a client who was doing great on my program and lost 25 pounds. Thinking he now possessed the knowledge to continue on his own, and did so for a few months only before we were having a conversation about his weight gain. I tried to encourage him to take the necessary steps to get his weight down and improve his health again but he got offended. It almost ruined our relationship as I was concerned for his health and constantly brought up wanting to help him.
- In business you can only teach principles, you can’t do them for people. I have provided a client verbal and written education as well as sat down with them to teach “step-by-step” how to be successful in their business. While sitting with me, they showed me they understood by doing the actions very successfully; however, once on their own, they wouldn’t do the work. It breaks my heart when I see potential in a person and they just don’t take the action needed to be successful.
- Be authentically vulnerable & transparent: I can’t tell you the number of times I have lost a client because I was too prideful to be vulnerable and admit when I made a mistake or misunderstood a situation. I have learned that even as the leader, it is better to be honest with your team or clients than to “hide behind” an image of what people think or expect of you.
- To believe in yourself and your vision: others won’t come alongside you if you don’t have the confidence in what your are doing. It doesn’t mean that you won’t make mistakes along the way, but when you are confident in your vision/mission your team will have your back.
- You can never go wrong by spending money or time on your own personal growth: I once heard John Maxwell say that if you find yourself in a room where you are the smartest person there, get out! Always surround yourself with people smarter than you so you can learn and grow.
You are a person of great influence. If you could inspire a movement that would bring the most amount of good to the most amount of people, what would that be? You never know what your idea can trigger. :-)
I have a passion for biohacking and technology that is changing every day. I want to help people live a longer, healthier life free of sickness and disease as well as a life filled with great relationships.
Can you please give us your favorite “Life Lesson Quote”? Can you share how that was relevant to you in your life?
You can’t go back and change the past but you can learn from it and change the ending while helping others not make the same mistakes. My later years of my life are going to be the better days of my life because of this.
Some of the biggest names in Business, VC funding, Sports, and Entertainment read this column. Is there a person in the world, or in the US with whom you would love to have a private breakfast or lunch with, and why? He or she might just see this if we tag them :-)
Simon Sinek because he teaches people to understand their why and what they are willing to do to get it accomplished. Second would be Mark Cuban because he makes me laugh and he loves sports like I do.
How can our readers follow you on social media?
Thank you so much for joining us. This was very inspirational.